Sweet and spicy slow cooked chicken makes taco night new again. I love using my crockpot for easy, weeknight meals!
So this was the first time a bottle of Sriracha sauce ever made it into my house.
Am I crazy? Have you guys been loving on this stuff for a while now?
I have to admit, I still find it craaaaaazy spicy. I’m not putting the stuff undiluted onto anything that’s going into my mouth.
But after I saw a recipe for Grilled Honey Sriracha Chicken, the wheels started turning. I love a good sweet and spicy anything, and I could totally see how the honey and the lime would balance the sriracha beautifully.
It’s September though, and I already find myself craving fall comfort food and hearty slow cooker meals. I figured this honey sriracha business would make a mean taco. I was right.
When I’m looking for new recipe ideas, one of my favorite places to go is to my cookbook and magazine stash. There is just something way more relaxing about perusing a physical book or magazine, and flipping pages, than scrolling through recipes online.
This is one of the reasons I don’t think I can ever own a Kobo/Kindle/Kaboodle ever in my life. I have a think for print literature, and I don’t see myself ever feeling differently.
I had about 8 different ideas written down, but I went for the sriracha. I guess I had to see what all the fuss is about!
I toned my sauce down quite a bit, but you can easily taste as you go and up the sriracha if you need to! If you find it’s not as spicy as you’d like it in the end, feel free to drizzle some on top of your tacos before you devour them.
Here’s my take on the Honey Sriracha Grilled Chicken: Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Chicken Tacos!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Honey Sriracha Chicken Tacos
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1-2 tbsp corn starch
- 1-2 tbsp water
- 10 Whole wheat tortillas
- Sliced peppers
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh lime wedges
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine Sriracha sauce, honey, chicken broth and lime juice and whisk until smooth. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken shreds easily (I had mine on Low for 6 hours and then Warm for 2-3 hours and it was still perfect and juicy!). Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred.
- Strain cooking liquid into a medium pot and heat to simmering over medium heat. Combine 1 tbsp corn starch and 1 tbsp water and whisk into the cooking liquid. If you want the sauce even thicker, combine remaining 1 tbsp each corn starch and water and add to the cooking liquid. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning as desired, adding more Sriracha, honey, or lime if needed (I added an extra squeeze of lime to mine).
- Stir together shredded chicken and thickened sauce. Serve on tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cheese and fresh lime wedges (and extra Sriracha sauce if desired!)
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on the exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel