These Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Apples are the perfect mix of sweet and savory — an easy but elegant dinner recipe for Sunday dinner or a busy weeknight!
By now you’ve heard me jumping for joy about Apple Month — a time where we can celebrate munching on fresh, nutritious Canadian apples while we’re buried under a blanket of snow — all over this blog and social media (and if you missed my Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pudding Cake, well — you don’t want to!), and I’m here with an easy, slow cooker dinner recipe featuring the star of the show.
I know you know that I am a big believer in mixing sweet with my savory (these Pineapple Glazed Carrots are one of my recent favourites!), and I think fruit is the best way to jazz up your dinner table.
It can add such an unexpected burst of flavour and really make a dish extra special. These chicken thighs are elegant enough for an easy Sunday dinner but simple enough for a crazy weeknight — pair them with potatoes, rice or a salad for a hearty, healthy meal! We love the sauce drizzled over mashed potatoes — it’s like chicken gravy with a subtle sweetness!
*This post is sponsored by BC Tree Fruits and I was compensated for my time in creating the recipe — all opinions are, as always, my own.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Apples
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup pure unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 springs fresh thyme or add 1/2 teaspoon dried to the liquid
- 2 Gala apples peeled and sliced thick
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook 1-2 minutes just until browned (*this step is completely optional — you can just add to the slow cooker if you desire)
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a 2.5-4 quart slow cooker and add onion to the bottom. Place browned chicken thighs on top of onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine broth, juice, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, and corn starch until smooth. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Top with sliced apples and thyme sprigs, cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-5 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles if desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel