This one pot Sausage, Tomato and Pesto Pasta is full of flavor but made with just a few simple ingredients! It’s a family favorite!
I originally shared this recipe 6 years ago, when life was crazy and I was a high school teacher, food blogger, and mom of a toddler.
I can’t say that things have calmed down any, it’s just a different kind of crazy!
That’s why we’re still loving one pot meals, and pasta is always a hit.
Variations and Substitutions for this One Pot Pasta:
There are lots of ways to make this recipe your own, since the base is so simple to begin with! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Add more veggies! There are not really any veggies in here, so you can start anywhere:
- saute some onions, mushrooms or peppers along with the meat.
- stir in some chopped spinach with the cheese at the end
- cook some shredded zucchini and carrot with the meat, and no one will ever know!
- Swap out the meat: use Italian turkey sausage, or another ground meat — just keep in mind if you are not using Italian sausage you will want to add additional herbs and spices
- Swap out the cheese: the options are endless!
How to store and reheat leftover pasta:
We often have leftover pasta, so I feel I’ve become a bit of an expert in reheating it to taste (almost!) fresh.
Simply place the leftover pasta in a large skillet with a splash of water, milk or broth. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
If you’re in a pinch, you can reheat in the microwave, just be sure to add a splash of moisture and cover it during the heating process!
Can I freeze this pasta?
Pasta freezes fairly well, as long as you are not picky about the al dente texture.
Pasta will soften as it is frozen and thawed, so keep that in mind if you are going to go this route.
You can place into freezer-safe container or even plastic freezer bag, then freeze up to 3 months.
I recommend thawing completely before heating through, and the method I shared above works great!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
One Pot Sausage, Tomato and Pesto Pasta
- 375 grams Italian sausage (casing removed, mild or spicy)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes drained slightly
- 5 cups rotini pasta or other short pasta
- 2 teaspoons basil pesto
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, crumble sausage and cook over medium-high heat until browned. Add garlic and salt and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth, milk, tomatoes, pasta and pesto and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10-12 minutes until pasta is cooked and liquid has reduced and thickened. If the liquid has absorbed and the pasta is not cooked, continue adding ¼ cup of liquid and cooking until cooked through — keep in mind the pasta will thicken as it sits.
- Stir in cheese and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel