This One Pot BBQ Chicken Chili Mac is the perfect meal in one! It’s loaded with protein, fiber, veggies and made in one skillet in 30 minutes! An easy, healthy weeknight meal.
First, I feel like I need to apologize.
I did kind of drop the ball on these 30 Minute Thursdays at the end of 2016, what with me being buried under holiday cookies, cakes and cheesecakes and all, but I am back, and I’m hoping to stick with it!
Because who doesn’t love a 30 minute meal?
I love these 30 Minute Thursdays because it forces me to get creative and adds yet another easy, healthy meal to my repertoire — something our family needs plenty of!
I was really stuck this month though. Maybe because my brain is still all holiday cookies. Maybe because I took quite a bit of time off of recipe development and the creative juices just aren’t flowing yet.
So I thought back to some of my favorite meals here on The Recipe Rebel and thought to myself, “which of these is a little underappreciated and would make a really great skillet meal?”
It is one of our all-time favorite recipes here on the blog, but I think I’m the only one that makes it! I figured it was time to bring it back to life in a quick, simple one pot meal kind of way. And I’m not mad about it!
I love meals like this because it’s so easy to load them up with veggies. I like to add shredded carrots or zucchini, and chopped peppers, spinach, or kale, to dishes like this with a ton of flavor because if there’s someone in your family who isn’t a fan of their veggies (*raises hand sheepishly*), the chili flavors mask them easily.
You’re still getting all of the benefits of eating your vegetables without really realizing that you are — perfect for those picky eaters!
And because it’s January, I’ve calculated the calories for you on this one! Keep in mind, there are a lot of factors that play into a calorie count, like the different brands or types of products you might use — there are a whole slew of them! So use the nutrition information as a guide only. That being said, 500 calories and 44 grams of protein is pretty good if you ask me! You are getting a lot of bang for your buck here, with a ton of fiber from the beans and pasta and a ton of protein from the beans, chicken, pasta and cheese. Not bad for January! 😉 (See nutrition information on the recipe itself)
You might also like these One Pot Meals:
- Healthier One Pot Skillet Lasagna
- One Pan Teriyaki Chicken and Noodles
- One Pot Caprese Chicken and Rice
One Pot BBQ Chicken Chili Mac: 30 Minute Thursday
This One Pot BBQ Chicken Chili Mac is the perfect meal in one! It's loaded with protein, fiber, veggies and made in one skillet in 30 minutes! An easy, healthy weeknight meal.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 big handfull finely chopped fresh spinach
- 1 540ml (19oz) can black or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups dry macaroni (I used high fiber white)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over high heat, cook chicken breasts in canola oil until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Meanwhile, chop your red pepper, onion and spinach and add to the pan. Cook over high heat, stirring often, until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add beans, garlic and chili powder and cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, barbecue sauce, broth, salt and macaroni and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until pasta is al dente and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 9-10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cheese (will continue to thicken as it sits and the cheese melts). Serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 507 cal Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10 grams||15%|
|Protein 44 grams|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
More 30 Minute Meals from friends!