This Nacho Cheese Stuffed Oven Fried Chicken is stuffed with cheddar cheese and coated in a (from scratch — no weird ingredients!) nacho flavored coating, and then oven fried to crispy perfection!
I know. It’s ridiculous, right?
But I’ve had this idea in my head for so long and I just couldn’t get it out. I went through a nacho phase a while back (when I made these Nacho Scalloped Potatoes and this Creamy Nacho Potato Soup), and I came up with my own nacho seasoning. I was obsessed for a little while, and then I ran out of things to nacho.
Until I thought about how amazing it would be if I could add the nacho seasoning mix to my already popular Oven Fried Chicken. And — what the heck — why don’t I stuff it with cheese?
It’s a little unreal.
Here are some tips for making the recipe:
- You need just enough butter to crisp up the chicken. This is going to depend on how much chicken you have, but you should have an even, thin layer of butter on the pan. Without the butter, the chicken doesn’t get crispy. With too much butter, the chicken is soggy.
- Use toothpicks to secure the chicken around the cheese while you dip and coat — but remember to remove them after baking!
- If stuffing with cheese sounds like too much work, know that these will be totally fantastic without the cheese 🙂
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Nacho Cheese Stuffed Oven Fried Chicken
- 3 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices of cheese about 1″ by 3″ in size
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt I use Lawry’s
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place butter on a large baking sheet lined with tin foil and place in the oven to melt (once the butter is melted, remove it from the oven so it doesn’t burn!).
- Create a slit in each piece of chicken and add the cheese. Secure chicken around cheese with toothpicks.
- Combine flour, bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, seasoning salt, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder in a large square container. Pour milk into another.
- Coat chicken in flour mixture, then dunk in the milk and coat once more in the flour mixture.
- Take your baking sheet out of the oven once the butter has melted and place your chicken on it, leaving a space between each strip. Bake 10 minutes, flip gently with a pair of tongs, and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Be sure to check to make sure your chicken is cooked, as the thickness can greatly affect baking time. You want it to be done but not overdone and dry.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to soak up any excess grease. Serve immediately.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel