These Lazy Daisy Brownies are ultra fudgy and topped with a broiled coconut frosting similar to Lazy Daisy Cake. They are the brownies for toasted coconut lovers!
Strangely enough, Lazy Daisy Cake has always been one of my favorites.
I can easily skip the cake with all the buttercream frosting, and all the other over the top desserts.
But toasted coconut??
There is no denying myself.
If you don’t know what Lazy Daisy Cake is, it’s an incredibly moist vanilla cake made with hot milk and spread with a caramel-like coconut and brown sugar mixture that is broiled until just golden.
The cake is delicate and moist, the topping crunchy and gooey and coconut-y and caramel-y all at the same time, and it is outrageously delicious.
I understand that the whole “Lazy Daisy’ thing doesn’t really have anything to do with what you’re going to get out of this recipe, but that’s one of the best things about these vintage recipes, right? The fun names.
This brownie base recipe is one of my other favorite brownies, aside from Absolutely the Best Brownies Ever.
It is rich and fudgy and almost gooey in the center — feel free to bake the batter a few extra minutes if you like your brownies nice and firm through the center.
For us? the fudgier the better!
These brownies are topping with the same, sweet, rich, slightly crispy broiled topping as a Lazy Daisy Cake, and it complements the rich chocolate in a crazy good way.
Chocolate and toasted coconut is a match made in heaven!
Tips for making Broiled Coconut Frosting:
This frosting is incredibly easy to make!
You just stir together some:
- melted butter
- brown sugar
- milk or cream
- shredded coconut
There’s no mixer or beaters required — it all comes together in the oven under the broiler!
Here are some tips for getting the best results:
- I have used both milk and cream and haven’t found that there is much of a difference in the results
- If you want a less sweet frosting, feel free to swap the coconut for unsweetened
- Always set a timer on the broiler — 1-2 minutes at a time, max! We’d hate to ruin a perfect batch of brownies over the difference of a minute.
- Allow to cool at least to room temperature before slicing, or refrigerate overnight for cleaner slices.
Lazy Daisy Brownies
For the brownies:
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the topping:
- 10 tsp brown sugar
- 8 tsp melted butter
- 4 tsp milk or cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9" pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with non stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar and whisk until combined. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder and whisk just until combined.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until the center is nearly set when the pan is jiggled.
- While brownies are baking, combine all ingredients for the topping. Set aside.
- When brownies are done, remove and set the oven to broil. Gently spread coconut mixture over brownies and broil for 1-3 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Cool and slice to serve.