These Chicken Lettuce Wraps are healthy, comforting, and so easy to make! Similar to P.F. Chang’s (if not better!) and you can have them any time you want from the comfort of your own home!
Table of Contents
This easy recipe is a delicious Copycat of PF Chang’s lettuce wraps (with our own tastes and preferences added in, of course!). They’re the perfect size for an appetizer or as a side dish to a larger Asian-inspired meal!
With perfectly seasoned tender ground chicken and chopped vegetables, cooked in a delicious Asian sauce, and wrapped in fresh soft lettuce leaves, it’s healthy AND comforting.
Using soft lettuce leaves in place of normal tortilla wraps is a great way to make wraps low carb without compromising on any of the tasty fillings! We also love serving this over Baked Rice.
For some more Asian inspired dinner recipes, check out my One Pot Teriyaki Chicken, Rice & Vegetables, this Sweet and Sour Pork, my Pineapple Chicken, and this One Pot Chicken Chow Mein Recipe!
- Soy Sauce: use low-sodium soy sauce to better control the saltiness of your sauce.
- Honey: adds sweetness to the sauce, you can use your favorite kind.
- Hoisin Sauce: you should be able to find this in the Asian food section of your local grocery store.
- Rice Vinegar: find this in the Asian food aisle as well, or use Apple Cider Vinegar in a pinch.
- Cornstarch: makes the sauce a little bit thicker, so that it doesn’t run out all over the place!
- Sesame Oil: adds some healthy fats and flavor to the sauce — if you don’t have any, you can skip it and don’t need to substitute it for another oil.
- Chicken: use lean ground chicken for these healthy lettuce wraps.
- Water Chestnuts: these are optional but I find they add a great flavor and texture to this dish (although my kids disagree).
- Onion: I used white onion for a strong savory flavor.
- Bell Pepper: I used red bell pepper, but any color will do. Bell peppers are great for adding a splash of color, but also great for nutrients, and the warmer the color of the pepper, the sweeter the flavor!
- Seasoning: a combination so freshly minced garlic, freshly minced ginger, kosher salt, and chili flakes will add so much flavor to this dish!
- Lettuce: The best lettuce to use for lettuce wraps is butter lettuce, but you can use another kind of lettuce if you like. Romaine lettuce hearts or iceberg lettuce will work too, it just might have more of a crunch to it.
- Garnish: use shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks, fried noodles, and sesame seeds for garnish to add a bit of texture, and don’t forget some freshly chopped green onions for an added flavor!
How to Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This recipe is quick and easy to make! Full instructions are included in the recipe card below.
- Cook chicken and veggies: Cook the ground chicken, water chestnuts (if using), onion, and bell pepper.
- Add seasoning: Add garlic, ginger, salt, and chili flakes to the pan.
- Make sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients (soy sauce, water, honey, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, corn starch, and sesame oil) in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Add sauce to chicken: Add the sauce and cook just until thickened. Serve in lettuce wraps with shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks, fried noodles, green onions, sesame seeds, or toppings as desired.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps FAQs
If you’re wanting a low-carb option for dinner, these Chicken Lettuce Wraps are the way to go! Wrapping your proteins in lettuce means you can skip the carby tortillas and still get all the goodness in a handy wrap!
Store the chicken mince mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop before assembling the wraps. Store the lettuce separately as the leaves will go soggy if stored with the mince mixture.
This recipe is great for meal prep, as you can freeze the chicken mince mixture for up to 3 months in a freezer-safe container or portioned in Ziploc bags! Simply defrost overnight in the refrigerator, reheat, and assemble your lettuce wraps fresh the next day!
Tips and Notes
- Dice veggies small. I recommend dicing the vegetables quite small so that you get the maximum flavor from them in this mince mix.
- Season to your preference. Adjust the amount of seasoning in the ground chicken mix to suit your own preference. Start with less and add more to taste!
Chicken Lettuce Wraps Variations
- Mix up the protein. You can use any kind of mince in these wraps. Ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork would taste great. OR try making these Asian lettuce wraps with pulled pork from my Crockpot Pulled Pork recipe!
- Seafood. Make seafood lettuce wraps by using shrimp instead of ground chicken.
- Add veggies! Add whatever vegetables you want to bulk out this recipe and make to go further, while also adding more nutrients! Shiitake mushrooms are a great choice.
- Spice. Change up the spice level by using red pepper flakes instead of chili flakes, or add some cayenne pepper or hot sauce to the mix to heat it up!
This Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe is great to use as an appetizer or a meal on its own.
Serve with my Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe, or this Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef with Pineapple for a full Asian-inspired spread, with some Instant Pot Jasmine Rice and Air Fryer Broccoli on the side!
More Delicious Appetizer Recipes
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup water chestnuts chopped optional
- ½ onion diced
- ½ bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 head butter lettuce
- shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks, fried noodles, green onions, and sesame seeds for garnish (as desired)
- In a large bowl combine all sauce ingredients (soy sauce, water, honey, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, corn starch, and sesame oil). Set aside.
- Lightly grease a large skillet with non-stick spray. Cook ground chicken, (water chestnuts if using), onion, and bell pepper over medium-high heat, until chicken is browned and vegetables have softened slightly about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt, and chili flakes to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sauce and cook just until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon on to separated lettuce leaves to make wraps. Serve with shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks, fried noodles, green onions, sesame seeds, or toppings as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
Valerie Reinholtz says
The Recipe Rebel says
So glad to hear Valerie!