This Carrot Ginger Soup recipe is easy, hearty and healthy! It’s made with carrots, chicken broth, sauteed onions and garlic with a variety of spices that give it so much flavour! Includes Instant Pot & Slow Cooker versions.
No one is surprised, and that’s okay.
Because Soup Season is a long ways from over and I’m just getting started!
In all honesty, I’ve posted more than 10 new soup recipes this fall and winter, and there’s a reason.
I love soup!
Interestingly enough, my kids hate soup, but they endure it because, well, there is only one dinner option presented.
That being said, they do love vegetables, and all love carrots, so this Carrot Ginger soup recipe is definitely high on their list. Soups with potatoes or meat? Those are definitely lower.
This Carrot Ginger Soup is so flavorful and just so, so simple.
It is loaded with good-for-you ingredients that will keep you going through these chilly days!
How to make this Carrot Ginger Soup in the Instant Pot:
- Place all ingredients except for cream into a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to sealing, and select Manual or Pressure Cook for 4 minutes (for chopped carrots, longer for larger pieces).
- When the cook time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 5-7 minutes and then open the valve.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or a blender that can process hot liquids) until smooth, then stir in the cream.
How to make this Carrot Ginger Soup in the Slow Cooker:
- Dump all ingredients except for the cream into a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours, until carrots are tender (the larger the carrots, the longer it will take to cook).
- Puree soup with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender that can process hot liquids), and add the cream.
- Serve immediately.
How to freeze this carrot soup recipe:
This Carrot Ginger Soup freezes beautifully! I like to pour it into large or medium freezer bags (depending how much you will want to thaw at one time), then seal and lay flat to freeze.
When you want to thaw the soup, you can let it sit at room temperature for 4-5 hours or thaw in a sink of room temperature water for 20-30 minutes. Because it is frozen in a thin layer, it will thaw quickly either way.
Variations on this carrot soup:
- This recipe is easily made dairy-free, just skip the cream or substitute for your favorite non-dairy milk (keeping in mind that this will change the flavour considerably).
- This recipe is naturally gluten-free.
- Like to spice things up? Add a pinch or two of red chili flakes to this soup while it’s simmering — it will add a wonderful little touch of heat!
More soup recipes:
- Chicken Rice Soup: Stove Top or Slow Cooker
- Easy Minestrone Soup
- 25+ Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Italian Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Carrot Ginger Soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 lb carrots peeled and chopped (about 6 medium)
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In a medium soup pot, add oil, onion, carrots, and celery and cook over medium-high heat until onion is lightly browned.
- Add garlic, ginger, salt, paprika and pepper and cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and stir. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender that can process hot liquids) and stir in cream. Serve.