These BBQ Chicken Taco Bowls are an easy make ahead meal — freezer friendly and perfect for your week’s meal prep! The chicken can be made on the stovetop, in the slow cooker or Instant Pot. Includes step by step recipe video.
I am SO excited about this post, friends.
When I started thinking about what to make for Cinco de Mayo (it’s coming soon!), so many possibilities came to mind. We could do tacos, or taco bowls. Or baked tacos. Or burrito bowls. I want to make them freezer friendly and make-ahead-able. The chicken…. I could do it on the stovetop, but isn’t that a little boring? How about the slow cooker? Instant Pot? All of the above??
I went a little crazy.
The husband and I have been on a taco kick for about the last year, and I have been on a freezer meal kick since the beginning of time.
I love love loooooove having extra meals ready to go in the freezer. It takes so much stress out of the stressful days (<— I said it. I have them), and it makes me appear to be somewhat sane, some of the time.
Honestly, it’s a toss up whether we prefer these as tacos or taco bowls — the tacos obviously can’t be made ahead of time but they’re such a great option if you’re serving them at a party (maybe a little Cinco de Mayo shindig??). You can just line up your taco shells in a 9×13″ pan, stuff and bake (leave off the cold stuff!), then everyone can grab their own and top as their hearts desire.
We’ve done this for one of the girls’ birthday parties and I think it was one of my favourite party meals — it’s so simple and no hassle. Which is exactly what we’re going for these days!
But our kids have a thing for these fun tortilla bowls from Old El Paso and I loved the idea of making, filling and freezing them individually wrapped for a no-stress meal on a busy night. I don’t recommend filling them if you’re going to store them in the refrigerator, but you can easily make the filling on the weekend and store that in the fridge for later on in the week.
*This post is generously sponsored by Old El Paso as part of my brand ambassadorship with them! Thank you for supporting brands that help me bring you these easy, healthy recipes.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
BBQ Chicken Taco Bowls + VIDEO (stovetop, slow cooker or Instant Pot)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Old El Paso taco seasoning
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 Old El Paso tortilla bowls
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- Salsa sour cream, avocadoes to garnish if desired
- In a medium skillet, stir together chicken broth and taco seasoning and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes, until cooked (165F internal temperature).
- Remove chicken and slice. Return to pan with the broth and add beans and barbecue sauce. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Fill tortilla bowls with ¼ filling each, and sprinkle with ¼ cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. Add additional toppings as desired.
- *TO MAKE AHEAD:Let filling cool completely. Divide filling between 4 bowls, sprinkle with cheese, and wrap each in tin foil or place in a medium freezer bag and freeze. To heat, unwrap, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 22-26 minutes until heated through. The edges will get a little crispy, if you want to avoid this, cover with some foil. Garnish as desired.
*SLOW COOKER: Place chicken breasts in a 2-4 quart slow cooker, sprinkle with taco seasoning and pour over broth. Cover and cook until a temperature of 165F is reached, about 2-3 hours on low for thawed breasts. Slice, and stir in barbecue sauce and beans.
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel