I just love grilled cheese.
I also love stuffing random things inside grilled cheese. Because what doesn’t go with toasted cheese and bread?
It was a perfect rainy summer morning this morning, and this grilled cheese was definitely in order.
I used our favourite Slow Cooker Beef & Lentil Sloppy Joes recipe, because I love the added nutritional value of the lentils. I don’t cook lentils a lot, but I love to add them to soups and dishes like sloppy joes because they blend in so well with the other flavours. And I love the way the sweet and sour barbecue flavour from these sloppy joes complements the sharp cheddar cheese.
I also love that they’re made in the slow cooker. Because who doesn’t love their slow cooker?!
I use my slow cooker so much in the summer, and winter, and basically all year. It makes things so easy!
I will tell you what I put in each sandwich, and then you can make as many as you want.
*Remember to save this recipe to your recipe box by clicking the Save Recipe button below!*
- ½ cup leftover sloppy joes
- 2 thick slices of cheddar or marble cheese
- 2 slices of bread (I used Rye, I like the thinner bread for grilled chese)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Spread butter on one side of each piece of bread. Place one piece of bread, butter side down in the frying pan.
- Place on slice of cheese on the piece of bread. Top with leftover sloppy joes (cold works best, so that you can spread it evenly without it sliding out). Top with remaining slice of cheese and piece of bread, butter side out.
- Heat pan over medium to medium-high heat and cook until the first side is golden brown. Flip sandwich and cook until the second side is equally golden brown.