White cake cubes, no-bake lemon cheesecake filling and fresh berries make the perfect summer dessert! Use red and blue berries for a July 4th celebration, or use just red berries for a Canada Day celebration. Either way, it’s going to be delicious!
I just love summer.
I think that’s one of the best parts of being a teacher. Especially since, in Manitoba, we might only get 4 months of nice, warm weather to begin with. And now that I’m on maternity leave, I get a nice llooonnnggg summer.
And I definitely plan on taking advantage of it!
This is another old post that I’m redoing for you this summer. I just love the combination of vanilla cake, lemon, cheesecake, and juicy berries, but my photos were seriously lacking! I am having so much fun practicing my food photography, and it’s giving me a chance to give recipes another run through, just to make sure they are perfect.
I actually did make a couple changes to this recipe, but nothing major. I doubled the amount of lemon curd in the filling and decreased the amount of whipped cream (though these kinds of changes you can definitely adjust to your tastes!).
It’s been hard waking up the last few weeks. Even though the sunshine pours in our windows in the mornings (and our drapes don’t block out much light), I can almost convince myself that I can lay there as long as I want as long as my 3 year old will tolerate it. It would be so easy to just roll over and let my eyes close, shirking all responsibility.
But then the baby indicates she’s ready for breakfast and I drag myself out of bed yet again.
I am such a big fan of citrus. Citrus and berries = summer.
And lemon curd? I could eat it like pudding, by the spoonful. It is just SO good and super easy. There really is no reason to buy it at the store!
If you’re ever making a cake and have extra, I totally recommend freezing the cake cubes for an easy “no-bake” dessert using whatever fruit is fresh and looks good! See my favorite white cake recipe here.
See my lemon curd recipe here.
See my favorite vanilla cake recipe here.
- about 5-6 cups white cake cubes (or an 8x8" cake, cubed)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups cool whip or whipped cream
- ½ cup lemon curd
- 3-4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (I used a 1lb container)
- 1-2 cups fresh blueberries
- additional cool whip, strawberries and lemon curd for garnish
- For the cheesecake, beat cream cheese until smooth in a stand mixer. Add vanilla and sugar and beat until smooth. On low, or with a spatula, fold in the cool whip and lemon curd.
- Layer half of the cake cubs in parfait glasses or a 2.5-3qt glass bowl. Cover with half of the cheesecake mixture and top with half of the berries
- Repeat layers one more time, topping with additional cool whip, lemon curd and strawberries if desired
More berry-filled treats from friends!
Berry Rhubarb Pie from Bakerita.
Blueberry Crumble Bars from Grandbaby Cakes.
Strawberry Sweet Rolls from Live Well Bake Often.