So I wanted to make you something inspired by my favorite Subway sandwich: the Chicken Pizziola.
There’s just something about meat on meat on sauce on cheese on bread. You know?
What’s your favorite Subway sandwich?
I remember when they discontinued the Chicken Pizziola sub, and I would go in and ask for it anyway. Luckily, they’d make it for me!
Since so many people have made and loved this Oven-Fried Chicken recipe, I decided to use that as a base. It has such incredible flavor! And I thought it would be super easy just to top it with some pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni and pop it back in the oven, and slide it on a fresh garlib herb biscuit. Because biscuits go so well with fried chicken and they are so easy to make little!
Also, because I was too lazy to make you little buns. Just saying.
Biscuits are so super easy, and you can even make them ahead of time, flash freeze them and just bake them right before you need them.
So since we only had about 3.7 hours of daylight in the winter (okay, I exaggerate — a little), I’d gotten into the habit of just making a big lunch when there was a recipe I wanted to try out for the blog.
So I made these one day for the hubs and he says after his first bite, “Ash, these are really good. It’s like pub food.”
So I guess if Subway and pub food had a delicious, made from scratch, saucy, cheesy baby, this would be it.
Almost as good-looking as my own babies 😉
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¾ – 1 cup milk
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise and across (so you have a small, thin piece of chicken – I cut each breast into 4 pieces)
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp seasoning salt (I use Lawry's)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 12 slices pepperoni
- 2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter, fork, or even your hands, until crumbly (pea-sized chunks). Gradually stir in milk, just so that the dough comes together, but don’t overwork the dough.
- (At this point you can wrap with plastic wrap and set in the fridge to finish later) Roll dough into ½” disc and cut out 2” circles with a biscuit or cookie cutter*. Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- You should have 10-12 thin, small pieces of chicken from your 3 breasts. You want them about the same size as your biscuits will be (about 2” across).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place butter on baking sheet and stick in the oven for the butter to melt as it’s preheating.
- Combine flour, salt, seasoning salt, pepper and paprika in a large Ziploc bag. Seal and shake to combine. Add your chicken pieces and shake until well coated.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place chicken pieces on it. Bake for 7-8 minutes, flip carefully, and bake for 7-8 minutes more. Check with a meat thermometer to ensure a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- While your chicken is cooking, slice your biscuits in half. Place on a baking sheet. Pick which will be the bottom of your slider, and spread about 1 tbsp of pizza on it.
- When the chicken is done cooking, preheat the broiler.
- Place the chicken on top of the sauce on your bottom biscuit. Top the chicken with another tablespoon of sauce, a slice of pepperoni, and cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes (watching carefully) until cheese is melted. Your top biscuits will toast nicely, but if they begin getting too dark, just remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Sprinkle with parsley, top with your top biscuit and serve.
See the original Oven-Fried Chicken recipe here!