Tender, moist turkey breast brushed with a sweet and tangy apricot balsamic glaze — the perfect slow cooker meal for the holidays so you can enjoy your guests!
Confession time: I’ve never cooked a turkey.
But seriously, what is the smallest size you can get a turkey? Those things are huge! What do I want with like 20lbs of turkey meat?
Most often on the holidays we’re at my husbands’ parents or my parents’ house and my mom or his mom takes care of the turkey, and I’m usually slotted in for dessert (surprised?). Someday, I will conquer the whole turkey. For now? Turkey breasts. I love them!
Turkey breasts are awesome for a small gathering or a family dinner when you want plenty of leftovers (and I am a leftover lover).
I am also a slow cooker lover. I think slow cookers are awesome every day, every season, but particularly around the holidays! Those are the times when you want something super delicious, you might be entertaining family, you might want to use your oven for other dishes, and you might actually want to visit with the people you’re entertaining!
I love using apricot preserves in all kinds of savory dishes where I want a little sweetness — they have such a mild, sweet flavor that goes with so many things! (Like Mongolian Beef maybe, or Chicken Chow Mein?)
Slow Cooker Apricot Balsamic Glazed Turkey Breast
- 1 frozen turkey breast (about 3 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Place turkey breast in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper and pour chicken broth into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours, or until a meat thermometer reaches 170 degrees F in the thickest part. Remove from slow cooker and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Place back in the slow cooker and set to keep warm.
- In a small pot, combine preserves, vinegar, garlic and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat, and reduce to medium, whisking often.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced and thickened slightly (it won't become super thick, but there will be a noticeable difference -- it will continue to thicken as it cools). Pour over turkey slices in slow cooker and serve.