This Sausage Potato Soup with Kale is comforting and made with incredibly flavorful smoked sausage, potatoes, kale, cream and Parmesan. Make it on the stove or in the slow cooker!
Table of Contents
You know by know what happens once September hits, right? I’m busting out all the soup recipes. All. The. Time. With how many new soup recipes pop up every month, you can probably just call this site “Soup Central”.
This Sausage Potato Soup with Kale is one of my favorites! It’s quick and easy to make, only dirties one pot, and is made with smoked sausage and delicious seasonings for layers of flavor.
Plus, you don’t have to pre-cook the meat. So you can just throw everything into the pot and let it warm up!
- Canola Oil: you’ll need a little bit of neutral flavored oil to sauté the veggies before making the soup.
- Veggies: the classic onion, carrot, and celery combination is used to create a flavor base.
- Sausage: you’ll need two smoked sausages cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into bite-sized pieces. You can swap this for uncooked sausage, just remember to saute it first before adding the veggies.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic adds the perfect kick of flavor.
- Seasonings: a simple trio made of seasonings made up of salt, dried thyme, and black pepper gives the soup the perfect flavor. You can easily adjust these based on your preferences.
- Chicken Broth: I recommend low sodium chicken broth so you can control the saltiness of your soup.
- Potatoes: you’ll need about 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced.
- Kale: be sure to finely chop the kale so it incorporates well into the soup.
- Cream (optional): cream isn’t necessary, but does create a richer soup.
- Parmesan Cheese: you can’t go wrong with a salty parmesan garnish.
How to Make Sausage Potato Soup with Kale
This simple soup is ready in just 35 minutes!
- Sauté the veggies and sausage: In a skillet, add oil, onion, carrot, celery, and sausage. Cook until the onions are soft, then add in the seasonings. Cook for another minute.
- Add the broth and potatoes: Pour in the broth and add in the potatoes, then cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Simmer, finish, and serve: Stir in kale and cream, then serve topped with parmesan.
Sausage Potato Soup with Kale FAQs
In general, waxier potatoes like Yukon gold, red potatoes, or fingerling potatoes are better for soup. Starchier potatoes like Idahos or Russets don’t work as well, because they can become grainy in the broth.
Totally! With just a few simple steps, you can have this into a crockpot soup instead. Start by sautéing the veggies in a skillet with oil. This is optional, but does add nice flavor. Add the veggies to the crockpot along with spices, potatoes, kale, sausages, and chicken broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, then serve with a splash of cream. Slow cooker soup is ready to go!
Leftover Sausage Potato Soup will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, warm on low on the stove until heated through.
You can, although the potatoes won’t have quite the same texture. If you do freeze it, do so without the cream. Simply make the soup as instructed, cool it completely, then store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve, thaw it in the fridge, warm on the stove, then serve with cream and cheese.
- Dairy-free: Make your potato soup recipe dairy-free by skipping splash of cream at the end. Everything else is good to go!
- Vegetarian: Use veggie broth and skip the sausage or use a meatless variety.
- Gluten-free: This sausage potato soup is naturally gluten-free, but be sure to double check that all of your. labels, particularly the sausages. Many brands will include wheat.
- Lightened up: Use smoked turkey sausages or make it lower carb by swapping the potatoes for cauliflower.
More Potato Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Sausage Potato Soup with Kale
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1 rib celery sliced
- 2 smoked sausages halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1½ lbs potatoes about 6 medium, peeled and diced
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- ¼-½ cup cream (optional)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a medum skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, carrots. celery and sausages and cook until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Stir in kale and cream and serve with Parmesan if desired.
- You can swap the smoked sausage for another cooked sausage. If using uncooked sausage, be sure to saute it before adding the vegetables.
- You can adjust and swap the herbs and seasonings to suit your tastes, just keep in mind that this will affect the overall flavor.
- To make in the slow cooker, simply dump everything in and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until tender. If you prefer, you can saute the vegetables before adding for extra flavor.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel