Marry Me Chicken features golden chicken breasts simmered in a medley of bold ingredients like bacon, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and more! This one pan chicken recipe is served smothered in a creamy sauce that’s so good, you may just hear wedding bells.
Table of Contents
Marry me chicken is so worth the hype! This is one of those tried and true chicken recipes that everyone swears by, and there are so many reasons why it’s beloved.
And yes… Just as the name suggests, it’s been said that it’s so good that your meal might just end with a proposal.
It’s easy, creamy, filling, flavorful, and made all in one pan. This marry me chicken recipe checks all of the right boxes!
Why we love it:
- One pan dinner: Easy to make and even easier to clean up. That’s two big wins in my kitchen!
- So creamy: Thanks to the heavy cream that gets stirred in at the end, this chicken recipe is delightfully creamy.
- Flavorful: Oh yes. There are a lot of ingredients that’ll make your mouth water! Garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon and more create a medley of seriously satisfying flavors.
- Versatile: There are quite a few ways to customize this recipe to best fit your tastes. Scroll down to check out some of my recommended variations to try.
Marry Me Chicken Ingredients:
- Chicken Breasts: You can swap these with thighs if you’d like.
- Chicken Broth: I recommend using low-sodium broth and sprinkling in more salt as needed.
- Cream: Heavy cream is recommended for the thickest, creamiest results! A lighter cream may be used but the final results won’t be as creamy.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Make sure to drain them well prior to chopping and using.
- Tomato Paste: This enhances the tomato flavor in a wonderful way!
- Cornstarch: This is used to thicken the sauce.
- Bacon: This adds a great savory and salty flavor to the dish. Feel free to omit or swap with pancetta or turkey bacon if preferred.
- Onion: A white or yellow onion both work very well.
- Garlic: Feel free to measure with your heart!
- Seasonings: Add the best flavor to your marry me chicken with red pepper flakes, salt, parsley, oregano and thyme. Adjust as needed.
How to make Marry Me Chicken:
Here’s a quick look at how to make this marry me chicken recipe! Scroll to the bottom of this page for detailed ingredients and step-by-step instructions.
- Flatten the chicken just enough so that each breast has an even thickness.
- Season and sear the chicken until golden on each side.
- Sauté the bacon and onions.
- Stir in the garlic, herbs and seasonings.
- Stir in the tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Stir in the flour (or cornstarch slurry). Whisk in the broth and heavy cream, reduce the heat, and add the chicken back in.
- Cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Variations and Substitutions
- Swap the flour. This can easily be swapped with corn starch if that’s what you have on hand. Just whisk it into an equal portion of liquid before stirring it in.
- Use chicken thighs. If you choose to use thighs instead of breasts, just make sure they’re boneless and skinless.
- No bacon? No problem. You can omit this ingredient entirely if you’d like. It adds an amazing flavor, but you don’t need to use it if you don’t want to. Or, swap it with turkey bacon!
- Turn up the heat. I add just enough red pepper flakes to create flavor without making it spicy. Feel free to kick things up a notch by adding more red pepper flakes.
How to Store Marry Me Chicken
If you have any leftovers, you’re in luck! Marry me chicken keeps very well in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Just make sure it’s in an airtight container.
You can reheat your chicken with a splash of broth or water in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed through. Try to be careful so you don’t scald the creamy sauce.
Can I freeze Marry Me Chicken?
Sure thing! Let the sauce and chicken all fully cool to room temperature prior to storing in an airtight, freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Don’t forget to date and label! Let the chicken slowly thaw in the fridge prior to reheating.
How can I thicken the sauce?
If you notice that your sauce is on the thinner side, have no fear! You can always create a slurry (cornstarch and broth) and stir in a little bit at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
What to serve with Marry Me Chicken:
Serve marry me chicken over something hearty that’ll help you soak up every last drop of that delicious sun-dried tomato cream sauce! Buttered Noodles, Baked Rice, or mashed potatoes are all popular choices. I also like to lighten up my plate with a veggie side dish like air fryer broccoli.
More chicken dinner recipes!
- Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken Breasts — perfect over pasta!
- Baked Tuscan Chicken Breasts — no standing over the oven.
- JUICY Air Fryer Chicken Breast — SO easy and flavorful!
- Creamy Garlic Chicken — totally decadent and garlicky!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Marry Me Chicken recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 lb)
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices thick cut bacon (chopped)
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes (drained and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- parmesan and fresh parsley for serving (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Place chicken breasts on a large cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and flatten the thicker end slightly so they are an even width).
- Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper and sear on both sides until light golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add bacon to the pan and cook until starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown.
- Stir in garlic, oregano, parsley, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt and cook 1 minute. Add sun dried tomatoes and tomato paste and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed. Whisk in broth and cream and reduce heat to medium.
- Add the chicken back in, cover and cook until an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel