This Crockpot Hot Chocolate will warm you from the inside out! It’s easy, made from scratch with dairy free and vegan options — perfect for your holiday parties!
Christmas is quickly approaching, friends, and I’m back with another slow cooker recipe to make your holiday parties that much easier:
Crockpot Hot Chocolate.
It’s easy, it’s made from scratch (which means you can customize it to your tastes and even make it dairy free or vegan), and it makes a ton and keeps it warm for all of your guests!
This is the easiest way to do homemade hot chocolate for a crowd because all you have to do is dump in your ingredients, set it and forget it.
We have a little tradition over here through the fall and winter where we have coffee break together every day after my oldest daughter gets home from school.
It’s one of our favorites times of the day because we get to reconnect and talk to each other, and mom and dad get a much needed boost of caffeine to make it through the day.
This Crockpot Hot Chocolate is getting lots of use this winter! My girls prefer their mugs about half hot chocolate and half mini marshmallows 😉
How to make this homemade hot chocolate on the stove top:
To make this on the stove top, simply add all of your ingredients to a large pot, whisk well, and heat over medium heat.
It’s important that you do not let the mixture boil as the milk may separate, so keep the heat to medium or medium low and let it warm up gently. Once you start to see quite a few small bubbles around the edges, it’s hot and ready!
I recommend pouring into a large carafe to keep it warm for a longer period of time and to make it easier to serve.
How to make this homemade hot chocolate in the microwave:
Because this hot chocolate recipe makes a large batch, it’s not best made in the microwave. If you don’t want to use the slow cooker, the next easiest option is to use a large pot on the stove or to reduce the size of the batch using the calculator in the recipe card to adjust servings.
It’s not impossible or even difficult to make this in the microwave though. Simply combine all ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl (be sure to leave some room at the top), and microwave in two minute intervals, stirring well each time, until hot.
Variations of this Crockpot Hot Chocolate:
- You can make this homemade hot chocolate dairy-free and vegan by swapping the milk for almond or coconut milk — almond and coconut are both incredibly delicious with chocolate! You will also need to leave out the chocolate chips or substitute for dairy free chocolate (don’t worry! It will still be rich and chocolatey without).
- Try adding a candy cane or some mint extract for a peppermint hot chocolate.
- Try stirring in a spoonful of caramel sauce and a pinch of salt for a salted caramel hot chocolate.
- Try adding a spoonful of instant coffee granules for an afternoon caffeine boost.
Crockpot Hot Chocolate
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In a 2.5-4 quart crockpot, whisk together milk, cream, sugar, chocolate chips and cocoa powder until cocoa powder is dissolved.
- Heat on low for 2 hours, until chocolate is melted and hot chocolate is warmed through.
- Stir in vanilla and top with mini marshmallows. Cover, turn the slow cooker off, and let sit for 5 minutes for marshmallows to soften if desired. Serve.