This Crockpot French Toast is rich and moist and loaded with cinnamon and vanilla flavors — it’s an overnight french toast casserole that will impress all of your guests!
Table of Contents
It’s no secret that we love breakfast food around here, regardless what time of the day it is!
This Crockpot French toast is an easy slow cooker breakfast recipe that’s perfect for a lazy Sunday brunch, or a holiday breakfast buffet around Christmas or Thanksgiving. It’s so easy (it has just SIX ingredients!), and you can top it any way you like.
Greek yogurt and fresh fruit.
Warm maple syrup.
Strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
I mean, we could throw a scoop of ice cream on it and call it bread pudding if we wanted to 😉
How to make Crockpot French Toast:
The only problem with Crockpot French Toast is that you can’t wake up to it in the morning. An 8 or 10 hour cook time, even on low, would be way too long and you’d end up with dry French toast and a very crusty exterior!
I still like to consider this an overnight Crockpot French Toast because you can prep it completely ahead of time in the slow cooker, store it in the fridge overnight and simply turn it on in the morning.
I prefer to use bread cubes or torn bread instead of slices, because it fits better in the crockpot and you won’t really be able to get a slice out of the slow cooker since it all cooks together anyway.
Substitutions for this Crockpot French Toast:
- To make dairy-free: you can simply swap the milk with almond or another dairy-free milk.
- To make gluten-free: you can simply swap the bread with gluten-free bread of your choice
- This french toast recipe is naturally vegetarian but not vegan.
- To make it healthier: you can reduce or leave out the sugar, or substitute with a natural sugar or other sweetener. You can use hearty, whole grain bread which will add more fiber and protein. I use 1% milk, but you can even use skim if you prefer.
How to make this French Toast in the oven:
You can absolutely use this recipe as a base and simply bake it in the oven. You will prepare it just like the recipe notes, but in a 9×9″ baking dish, lightly greased.
Bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F until completely set.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Crockpot French Toast
- 8 slices French bread cubed or torn
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (honey or maple syrup will also work)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease a 2.5-4 quart crockpot with non stick spray and add the French bread.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla and pour over bread cubes. Use a spatula to press down on the bread so that most of the bread is soaked.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 1.5-2 hours, until it looks dry and set in the center (it shouldn’t look gooey).
- Serve immediately with syrup or as desired.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel