These Slow Cooker Beef & Lentil Sloppy Joes pack such a nutritional punch, with protein and fiber from lentils, and sneaky veggies! The whole family will love this healthy, hearty meal!
I don’t know if I’ve ever thrown a bunch of random ingredients into the slow cooker, set the timer, and had it turn out as well as these did.
I was so thrilled that these worked!
These sloppy joes are packed with protein and vegetables! I have to admit, sometimes I sneak veggies in my own food just to ensure I get enough. It’s hard sometimes! Something we all love is sloppy joes, and the lentils and vegetables give such an awesome boost in nutritional value to your typical sloppy joes!
The lentils add no extra work but a ton of nutritional value — and I’m all about packing a big punch into the meals I eat so I feel less guilty about the dessert I know I’m going to eat later.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small-medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (could substitute a carrot, other veg, or just leave out)
- ¾ cup split red lentils, dry
- 1½ cup water or broth (beef, chicken or veg)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1-2 pinches red pepper flakes
- In a large pan, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until browned.
- While ground beef is cooking, add remaining ingredients to slow cooker (I used a 6qt, and it was about half full).
- Add ground beef to slow cooker and give everything a good stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
**NOTE: Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.