Friends, this is my first Nutella dessert ever.
If you follow me on Instagram, you saw how much my daughter enjoyed taste-testing.
(My almost-3-year-old that is, and not the 4 month old!)
So normally, I will just eat full-on comfort food all year round. Soups, pastas, breads, brownies, cakes, cheesecakes – it doesn’t matter what it is or how hot it is outside.
I never really knew what my “style” of cooking was until I started a blog. But I think I can officially say I have a thing for sugary, fatty comfort food.
That being said, I also have a thing for balance and moderation (or at least I try to!), and I try to sneak in the occasional healthy or light recipe.
At least in January.
But I know that summer’s around the corner and some people are all about the fresh fruits and veggies, so I put some on a pizza.
A chocolate brownie pizza. With Nutella cream cheese sauce. And chocolate drizzle.
I totally balanced out all that chocolate with the fresh berries.
There are times, when you’re a food blogger, that you might make something and it kind of falls flat (in more ways than one…). There are also times when you make something and it totally exceeds your expectations.
This is one of those times, friends.
I’ve been wanting to make a brownie base fruit pizza for-like-ever. Nutella sauce just seemed to go. I stuck to fresh berries, because, well, berries and chocolate.
I was a little worried the brownie base might get dry because it’s so thin, or that it might be too flimsy and not hold up. Except it was perfect. It was totally fudgy and yet firm at the same time. You could even just pick up a slice of fruit pizza and eat it with your hands.
You’re going to have a little leftover brownie batter, so bake it up in an 8×8” pan for about the same time and I’m sure you can figure out something to do with it 😉
I didn’t want my berries (particularly the strawberries, which are sliced) to get dry and weird while sitting out, so I made a simple glaze to brush over them, and it keeps them so juicy. You could leave it off if you’re going to serve immediately, but I wouldn’t recommend it if it’s going to be stored for any length of time.
I sent this with the husband to his work, and I think his coworkers were just relieved not to have to eat more of my fails. I think they’ve probably forgiven me for all of the “test batches” they’ve helped me eat 🙂
*Feel free to adjust fruit toppings to your tastes
- 1 cup melted butter
- 2 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 8oz pkg chocolate cream cheese (or sub plain, and just add sugar if needed to sweeten)
- 1 cup Nutella
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- About ½ cups sliced strawberries
- About ½ cup blueberries
- About 1 cup raspberries
- ½ cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 14-16” pizza pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar with a whisk until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt and stir just until smooth. (batter will be somewhat thick)
- Spread a thin layer of brownie batter on the bottom of the pan (I used a 16” pan and made about a 13” circle – it will expand somewhat). You should have about ½” of brownie batter on the pan. Spread remaining batter into an 8x8” pan and bake alongside.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until set and a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely (can be made ahead and frozen).
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and Nutella until smooth.
- In a small pot, combine water, corn starch and sugar with a whisk. Heat over medium heat, whisking, until sugar and corn starch are dissolved. Stir in jam, and continue cooking and whisking until thickened. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Spread “sauce” over brownie crust. Layer with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Brush berries with glaze.
- Melt together chocolate and milk in a small pot on low heat. Drizzle over finished pizza.
- Store in the refrigerator, uncovered, up to a few hours. To store longer than that, I recommend freezing the crust (with the sauce on it if you desire), then thawing and topping before serving.
You might also like these berrylicious treats!
Triple Berry Lemon Cookie Cups from Spoonful of Flavour.
Berry Spritzer from Deliciously Sprinkled.
Triple Berry Trifle from Life Love and Sugar.