This is the BEST salsa I’ve ever had! We like it best on chicken tacos or straight out of the jar 🙂 Filled with mangoes, tomatoes and bell peppers it freezes perfectly so you can make a bunch and save for later.
So there’s a bit of a story here.
My oldest girl’s 4th birthday was at the end of May. Since my kids still go to bed pretty early, we usually have the family over for supper to celebrate so we can wrap things up pretty early.
For her birthday this year, we did a big taco spread with chicken and beef, hard and soft taco shells, tortilla chips and — just to mix things up — I bought a jar of Newman’s Own Mango Salsa.
Before I had even had a chance to eat anything the family was raving over the mango salsa! Everyone seemed to really love it, and I did too once I got a chance to try it. It is seriously the BEST salsa! And if you’re actually too lazy to make Mango Salsa, you could go and buy a jar of Newman’s Own and it would be just as good.
BUT, I am going to have a garden full of tomatoes and hopefully peppers so I thought I’d better do some experimenting and make my own version.
This was a labor of love. I experimented a lot with varying amounts of ingredients, and in the end I couldn’t get the recipe as close to Newman’s Own as I would have liked, but it’s a really awesome salsa with a sweet, fruity twist that we love!
There are a lot of fresh mango salsa recipes out there, but I actually prefer a cooked salsa. And this way it’s easy to make ahead and freeze for later! Because I’m not a canning expert and the recipe is 100% my own creation, I don’t recommend canning it as I can’t ensure a safe pH level. If you want to freeze it, simply scoop some into freezer bags, seal, and lay flat — this way it thaws quickly when you need it!
- You’re going to want some good quality freezer bags to store this salsa for later — don’t simply use regular sandwich bags!
- If you prefer to freeze it in something you can keep serve it from, check out these plastic freezer jars — they are one of my new favorite things for preserving summer produce! They’re perfect for jam too.
This is the BEST salsa I've ever had! We like it best on chicken tacos or straight out of the jar 🙂 Filled with mangoes, tomatoes and bell peppers it freezes perfectly so you can make a bunch and save for later.
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 mangoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 can tomato paste (156 mL)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon diced, seeded jalapeno
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- Add all ingredients to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour, until mangoes are tender and flavors have melded. At the 20-30 minute mark, taste and adjust as you desire, adding more sugar/lime juice/salt/jalapeno to suit your tastes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before dividing between several freezer safe containers or large freezer bags. Keep some in the fridge to eat immediately and store the remainder in the freezer for another use (I recommend using freezer bags and laying them flat to freeze).