This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. Thank you for supporting brands that help me bring you great content! All opinions are mine alone. #SummerToGo #CollectiveBias
A simple, no bake summer dessert made 3 different ways: Red, White and Blue Berry, Peanut Butter Cup, and Heavenly Hash! Only 4 main ingredients plus your choice of mix ins! A perfectly portable dessert for picnics.
You guys, I’m just loving summer.
I can’t get over it.
Mostly because the weather has been just absolutely beautiful lately (even a touch on the too-hot side if you ask me, but as a Manitoban I really try not to complain about any summer heat), but also because my husband has been “at home” (somewhere on our 13 acres) for about the last month which means our 3 year old has had more freedom to get out and explore outside.
This gives me a little more time to experiment in the kitchen, and even so, I haven’t baked anything in such a long time. It’s just too warm!
There is a part of me that misses it though. I mean, baked goods. Carbs. Just a few of my favorite things. And I think when fall finally hits I’m going to go through some serious baking extravaganzas.
Until then? I’m bringing you all things no bake, frozen, or grilled.
Do you know what else I love? Picnics.
I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old, and there are about 8 months of the year here where if we are out and have to eat somewhere other than in our home (or in someone else’s), it’s in a restaurant. And those of you with young kids might be able to appreciate what kind of a gamble that can be at times.
So I’ve come to love portable, packable foods that we can take to the park and enjoy without the stress of trying to get two somewhat excitable children to sit somewhat quietly while we wait for food. That doesn’t mean you can’t eat fabulous food!
I love packing desserts in jars. (a) They’re super cute and (b) portable, and (c) everyone can make their own (even the kids!) and add in whatever flavors they want! It’s just kind of a wonderful thing.
But there was no way I was going to be baking brownies to make these trifles, so I headed to Wal Mart (we can never drive through any town without my 3 year old asking if we’re going to “the blue store” anyway) and grabbed some Two-Bite Brownies. These have kind of been an obsession of mine for a long time now, and they are the perfect excuse to leave the oven off!
I also grabbed some chocolate pudding mix and some frozen whipped topping – it’s summer, and I am all about easy. I also tend to buy the reduced fat/sugar/light version of everything when I’m making dessert, so I feel a little less guilty about the peanut butter cups!
I had so many ideas for flavor combinations, and in the end I just couldn’t decide so I made the brownie trifle 3 different ways! This just goes to show how easy it is for everyone to mix and match what goes in.
I’m not going to include measurements for the mix ins, because it really depends how many people want each one, and there are really no hard and fast rules for combining them. It’s just a super simple dessert that’s perfect for summer!
Find more great summer entertaining ideas at the Simple Entertaining Social Hub!
Tell me: what would you put in your brownie trifle jar?
No-Bake Brownie Trifle 3 Ways
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding (4 serving size)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1L tub frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 635g tub Two-Bite Brownies
Optional Mix Ins
- Chopped peanut butter cups and smooth peanut butter
- Raspberries and blueberries
- Mini marshmallows, toasted almonds and chocolate sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk as directed on package until thickened (1-3 minutes). Set aside.
- Chop brownies into smaller pieces.
- Add a layer of brownies to the jar. Top with a spoonful of chocolate pudding and a spoonful of whipped topping. Top with mix ins as directed below. Repeat one more time so there are two layers of everything.
- Screw the lid on the jar and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. To transport, place in a cooler bag with an ice pack.
Peanut Butter Cup:
- Place a teaspoonful of smooth peanut butter in a small ziploc bag and microwave on high for 5-10 seconds until slightly warm. Snip the tip of the bag and add a small drizzle of peanut butter on top of whipped topping, follow by a layer of chopped peanut butter cups.
Red, White and Blue Berry:
- Add a layer of berries on top of whipped topping.
- Add a layer of mini marshmallows, toasted almonds (or other nuts of choice) and chocolate sprinkles on top of whipped topping layer.
Here is where you can find the Two-Bite Brownies in the baked goods aisle at your local Wal Mart!
Feeling ambitious? Try these Homemade Brownies instead!
Another great no-bake treat for summer: No-Bake Samoa Cookies!