This Vegetable Soup, with fresh seasonal veggies and a flavorful broth, it takes 35 minutes to make and is perfect for warming you up on cold winter days!
– 1 tablespoon canola oil – 1 medium onion finely diced – 3 large carrots (peeled and chopped) – 2 ribs celery (chopped) – 2 tablespoons tomato paste – 2 teaspoons minced garlic – 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning – 1 teaspoon salt – ¼ teaspoon black pepper – 1 bay leaf – 6 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth – 1 lb potatoes chopped (about 3-4 medium) peeled if desired – 1 ½ cups fired roasted diced tomatoes (or other flavor — 398ml/13oz) – 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans cut in thirds – ½ cup canned or frozen corn – 1 cup finely chopped spinach
– Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
– Add the tomato paste, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
– Add the chicken broth to the pot, and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any browned bits. – Add the potatoes and tomatoes and bring to a simmer over high heat.
– Cover, reduce heat to medium-low heat and cook until potatoes are tender about 10 minutes. – Stir in the green beans, corn and spinach. Adjust seasonings to taste (the amount of salt needed will depend on the type of broth and vegetables used. Add 1 teaspoon sugar to balance tomato paste if needed) and serve.