This fresh Strawberry Pie is made with just a few simple ingredients in a homemade pie crust, topped with sweetened whipped cream!
– 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour – ½ teaspoon salt – 1 teaspoon sugar – ½ cup unsalted butter cold – 3-4 tablespoons ice cold water – 1 ¾ cups chopped strawberries (about 245 grams) – ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 grams) – ¼ cup water – 1 tablespoon vanilla extract – 2 tablespoons cold water – 1 package unflavored gelatin (7 grams) – 5 cups chopped strawberries (about 690 grams or 1 ½ pounds)
– Crush the 1 ¾ cup strawberries with a potato masher (you can also use the blender). – Place crushed strawberries, sugar and water in a medium skillet and cook on medium heat until warmed through and sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
– Place cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top. Let sit for 5 minutes. – Stir vanilla into crushed strawberries. Add gelatin mixture to warm strawberries in pan, and stir until dissolved. If strawberries have cooled, warm on medium-low heat until gelatin is dissolved and incorporated. Do not let it get too hot!
– Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out dough. – Press the pie crust into the pie plate. Trim any edges that are very long, then fold the overhang under and pinch to form a thick edge. Crimp as desired. – Blind bake. – Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are light golden brown. Remove pie weights and parchment and bake for another 10 minutes or until bottom of pie crust looks dry and is starting to brown. Cool slightly.
– Stir in 5 cups chopped strawberries and pour into baked pie crust. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight until completely set.