This Sausage Potato Soup with Kale is comforting and made with incredibly flavorful smoked sausage. Make it on the stove or in the slow cooker!
– 1 tablespoon canola oil – 1 medium onion finely diced – 2 large carrots peeled and finely diced – 1 rib celery sliced – 2 smoked sausages halved lengthwise and sliced – 1 teaspoon minced garlic – 1 teaspoon salt – ¼ teaspoon dried thyme – ⅛ teaspoon black pepper – 4 cups low sodium chicken broth – 1½ lbs potatoes about 6 medium, peeled and diced – 2 cups finely chopped kale – ¼-½ cup cream (optional) – freshly grated Parmesan cheese
– Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, carrots. celery and sausages and cook until onions are softened and translucent.
– Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
– Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce to medium heat and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often, until potatoes and carrots are tender.
– Stir in kale and cream and serve with Parmesan if desired.