– 2 slices thick cut bacon diced – 1 medium onion diced – 1 stalk celery sliced – 1 teaspoon minced garlic – 1 teaspoon salt – 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme – 1/4 teaspoon black pepper – 3 cups low sodium chicken broth – 4 medium potatoes diced – 3 cups fresh or frozen corn – 3/4 cup whole milk or cream – 2 tablespoons corn starch – cheese, green onions, bacon bits as desired for serving
– In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned.
– Add onion and celery, cooking and stirring until the onion starts to brown. Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook 1 minute.
– Stir in broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits.
– Add potatoes and corn. Stir, bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium. – Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low. – Combine milk and corn starch and gradually whisk into soup mixture, a little at a time, until thickened slightly. – Serve as desired.