This Broccoli Cheddar soup is the perfect easy dinner for soup season! Packed with hearty vegetables, cheddar cheese, herbs and seasonings, as well as a combination of milk and cream, this soup is creamy, hearty, and oh so comforting!
– ¼ cup butter – 1 onion chopped – 1 carrot finely chopped – 3 garlic cloves minced – 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning – 1 teaspoon salt – ¼ teaspoon ground mustard – ¼ teaspoon black pepper – 3 tablespoons flour – 2 cups vegetable broth – 1 cup milk evaporated milk can be subbed for milk and cream – 1 cup cream – 4 cups of broccoli florets* about 250 grams – 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded about 180 grams
– In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
– Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, mustard, and pepper. Cook to toast spices for 1 minute.
– Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. – Add vegetable broth, milk, and cream. Cook and stir until it begins to thicken.
– Add broccoli to soup, reduce to medium-low heat, and simmer until tender (approximately 10 minutes). – Add shredded cheese and stir until the soup is smooth. Serve.