This Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan is a classic comfort food made healthier in the air fryer. Breaded chicken is air fried until golden and crispy, then topped with your favorite tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
– 1 boneless skinless chicken breast (or two small) – 2 large eggs – ¾ cup Panko bread crumbs – ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese – ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning – ¾ teaspoon salt – ¼ teaspoon paprika – ¼ teaspoon black pepper – ¼ cup tomato sauce (seasoned tomato pasta sauce) – ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
– Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F. – Split chicken breasts (butterflying them) to make two thinner pieces. Simply place your chicken breasts on a cutting board and place one hand flat on top. Use a sharp knife to cut the chicken breast in the middle all the way through. Pat dry with paper towel.
– Whisk eggs together in a large shallow dish.
– In another large shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, ¼ cup Parmesan, Italian seasoning, salt, paprika and black pepper. Coat chicken in egg mixture, then in panko.
– Spray the air fryer basket with non-aerosol oil spray. Spray both sides of the chicken with oil spray as well and place into the air fryer. – Cook for 5 minutes per side, until light golden.
– Top each with half of the tomato sauce and mozzarella. Divide remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan between the two and cook another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Check that the internal temperature has reached a minimum of 165 degrees F. Serve.