Super moist, coconut-based cake baked with a layer of juicy strawberries underneath! Flip it and top with whipped cream and more berries for a special summer treat that’s perfect for Canada Day or the Fourth of July!
I’ve got berries on the brain.
Fresh, plump, juicy berries picked right from the plant.
We’re getting closer here, but still no strawberries for picking. Because the berries in this cake are baked with a bit of sugar, it even works well with the not-as-perfect berries from the store.
I’ve been thinking about making a strawberry upside down cake for a long time now after seeing some awesome takes on a pineapple upside-down cake on Pinterest lately. I just love the way the berries get all soft and juicy when you bake them!
I was wondering what kind of cake recipe I’d use to top it. In my reader survey I was surprised that more people wanted to see scratch-made recipes than shortcut recipes, so I thought I’d go all out and make a scratch-made cake instead of using a box mix.
It’s not like I use cake mixes all the time. But with a 6 month old and a 3 year old, I like a shortcut every now and then! How about you? Are you an everything-from-scratch person or do you like the occasional shortcut?
I was kind of dreading trying to make my favorite vanilla cake recipe into a recipe small enough for an 8” cake pan. And then I remembered this Naturally Gluten-Free Coconut Cake that we love, and it’s already written for an 8” cake pan. I thought I’d try to reinvent it!
Because the cake batter is pureed with coconut, it does have a mild coconut flavor. If you don’t like coconut, feel free to swap with your favorite vanilla cake recipe (just don’t fill the pan too full!) or mine!
It’s the perfect treat for Canada Day, or throw on some blueberries for a red, white and blue treat for the 4th of July!
Gluten-Free Strawberry Upside Down Cake
Gluten-Free Strawberry Upside Down Cake: Super moist, coconut-based cake baked with a layer of juicy strawberries underneath! Flip it and top with whipped cream and more berries for a special summer treat that's perfect for Canada Day or the Fourth of July! www.thereciperebel.com
- 2 tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup certified gluten-free instant or quick oats*
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp strawberry jelly
- 1 tbsp water
- Grease an 8” round pan with non-stick spray and place margarine in the pan. Place the pan in the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove pan when margarine has melted.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over margarine in pan. Lay strawberries in a single layer over the brown sugar.
- To a blender or food processor, add eggs, butter, vanilla, coconut, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt. Puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. Don’t be afraid to let the mixture process for a good 3-6 minutes – you want it as smooth as possible.
- Add in the corn starch and puree until smooth and combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes (I baked mine 40 minutes), until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs (but never batter!).
- Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edge of the pan. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a plate. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream or ice cream.
Or these Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade Bars!
Check out these Strawberry treats from friends!
No-Bake Strawberry Shortcake Dessert from Crazy for Crust.
Healthy Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream from Tastes Lovely.
Strawberry Pie from Lemon Tree Dwelling.