These Easy Monterey Chicken Foil Packets are the perfect easy dinner recipe for summer! You can make them in the oven or on the grill — an easy camping meal! Sliced potatoes and vegetables topped with chicken breasts, barbecue sauce, cheese and bacon — how can you go wrong??
So I did exactly one foil packet recipe here on The Recipe Rebel last summer. O-N-E.
And it went wild.
So I figured that this summer (how is it that Spring has rolled around again?!? Wasn’t it just Christmas?), I was going to try to bring you a lot more foil packet recipes and easy grilling recipes to get you cooking outside.
We bought a camper last summer, and though we only took it out 4 times, we loved it. Our families have both always been into camping, and so it was a natural fit for us. I love having easy recipes like this on hand that we can prep and then just stash in the fridge on our way out to a camp site.
Are you guys campers? What are your favourite easy camping meals?
I know these Garlic Herb Steak Foil Packets are on my to-try list!
I am no expert when it comes to Monterey Chicken, but that combination of barbecue sauce, cheese and bacon a top chicken breasts just sounded too good to pass up, and it’s our first foil packet recipe here this summer.
I’ve added in some veggies (potatoes!), but you can make it healthier or more indulgent, depending on how you’re feeling about bikini season 😉
If you want to lighten things up, you can swap the cheese for low fat cheese, or use less, and you can swap the bacon for turkey bacon, or use less. You can also bump up the veggie content, just be sure to choose vegetables that will cook in the same amount of time as everything else, so they don’t end up total mush at dinner time.
How to Make Monterey Chicken Foil Packets:
- I know that traditionally Monterey Chicken has some sort of marinade, and I seriously considered skipping it but I figured it would add a ton of flavour not just to the chicken but the potatoes, too. You can easily skip the marinade if you like and just season with salt and pepper.
- If you want to bump up the veggie content, try adding sliced zucchini or mushrooms to your packet before topping with the chicken! You can add in other vegetables, but keep in mind that they may cook more quickly.
- You can mix up the flavours a lot just by changing out the barbecue sauce — go sweet, go spicy, or somewhere in between!
Watch the recipe video and see how easy these chicken foil packets are to make!
Monterey Chicken Foil Packets
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 430 grams little potatoes about 24, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- In a large ziploc bag, combine the oil, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the chicken, seal, and massage to coat the chicken. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Lay 2 large pieces of tin foil together, and lightly grease with non stick spray. Top with 1/4 of the sliced potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with 1 of the chicken breasts, brush with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce, and seal the foil packet. Repeat until 4 foil packets are complete.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes (depending on the thickness of your chicken), or grill over medium-high heat (400 degrees F) for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender and chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Open the foil packs and top with 1/4 cup shredded cheese and 1/4 of the crumbled bacon. Leave on the heat until the cheese has melted, then remove the foil packets.
- Top with diced tomatoes and green onions as desired and serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.