These Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes are an easy side dish made with Creamer potatoes, a rich creamy sauce and topped with cheese! The perfect complement to any potluck or weeknight dinner. Step by step recipe video below.
Table of Contents
I’m sure you know by now how much I love a big plate of cheesy potatoes.
If I’m being honest, at a holiday dinner you can probably even hold the turkey and that way I’ll have more room for these Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes 😉
It’s taken me a while to come back to this recipe, because originally when I tried making scalloped potatoes in the crockpot they weren’t great.
The potatoes wouldn’t be cooked evenly, they would be burnt at the edges and stuck to the bottom and just generally be a disaster.
But I thought, what better way to serve my favorite side dish around the holidays? The slow cooker is perfect for potlucks because it keeps your food warm longer so that everyone gets to enjoy it while its fresh.
So I tested out some new techniques and I am so happy with the results! I’ve included my best tips below so you can make perfect Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes, too!
- Start with your potatoes: I like to use Creamer potatoes from The Little Potato Company for these Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes because there’s no washing or peeling, simply slice and throw in the slow cooker. I also find that the smaller potato rounds cook more evenly in the crockpot, which is a big plus! Slice them thin.
- Lightly grease your slow cooker — this helps to prevent burnt, stuck on potatoes!
- Toss your potatoes with cream and all the other delicious things, then let them cook on low. I don’t recommend high for this recipe because, first of all, they don’t really take that long to cook to begin with, and second, they may burn at the edges before the inside pieces are cooked through.
- Top with cheese and cover for 5 minutes to melt. If your crockpot liner is oven-safe, you can broil your cheese to brown, but this isn’t really a necessity.
I have a 2.5 quart Crockpot that I absolutely love for recipes like this — it’s just the right size for side dishes! This recipe was tested in that slow cooker, and you can definitely use a different size but you may find your cook times vary.
I’ve always found Crockpot brand slow cookers to be on the hotter end (I have four slow cookers!), so if your potatoes need a little more time and you’re using another brand, that could be why.
If you use a significantly larger slow cooker, you may find your potatoes cook more quickly as it won’t take as long to heat through the layers.
- You can use any Creamer potato varietal from The Little Potato Company that you have on hand — no need to change the recipe!
- You can make this a full meal deal by adding chopped, cooked ham, crumbled bacon, or shredded chicken or turkey. Sliced smoked sausages would also be amazing!
- You can add extra veggies in here — thinly sliced carrots or mushrooms would be great throw in at the beginning. You could also use broccoli, but it will be very tender if you add it at the beginning of the cook time.
- You can switch up the cheeses or seasonings here to suit your tastes, but I recommend making it as is the first time around just so you know if or how you want to spice things up!
- No Cream Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Slow Cooker Honey Orange Glazed Carrots
- Healthier Slow Cooker Maple Balsamic Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Glazed Carrots
*This post is generously sponsored by The Little Potato Company and I was compensated for my time in creating this recipe. Click here to see where you can find Little potatoes in your area. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The Recipe Rebel!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
- 3 lb any varietal Creamer potatoes by The Little Potato Company
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Lightly grease a 4-6 quart crockpot.
- Thinly slice potatoes and set aside.
- In a large glass measuring cup, stir together cream, broth, corn starch, salt, garlic, parsley, pepper and thyme.
- Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot, then drizzle with 1/3 of the sauce and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers three times.
- Place lid on top and cook on low for 6 hours or until potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened. Serve.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel