This Creamy Cheese Tortellini is a dream come true! Cheese tortellini pasta is cooked to perfection, then tossed in a decadent, cheesy cream sauce. This 8-ingredient recipe is ready in just 15 minutes!
Table of Contents
Does anyone else dream up all of the ways you can take something that’s already cheesy and make it…even cheesier?!
Well, get ready for your dreams to come true. This Creamy Cheese Tortellini is made with cheese tortellini that’s tossed in a rich, decadent sauce made up of heavy cream, melted parmesan, pasta water, and seasonings!
It’s the an easy dinner recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes! Serve this pasta dish as a delicious vegetarian entree or as a side with this Baked Chicken Breast or Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin.
If you love tortellini, check out my Chicken Tortellini Soup, Baked Tortellini with Turkey and Vegetables, or Italian Chicken Tortellini Skillet!
Ingredients needed for Creamy Cheese Tortellini:
- Cheese Tortellini: you can use fresh or frozen in this recipe, since you will just cook according to package directions.
- Butter: I use salted butter. If you use unsalted just taste and add a little more salt with the other seasonings if necessary.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic is always the way to go! Jarred garlic or garlic powder can be used in a pinch.
- Seasonings: we’re using a simple yet flavorful blend of Italian seasoning, salt, and cracked pepper.
- Heavy Cream: half-and-half will work as well, the sauce just won’t be quite as rich.
- Parmesan Cheese: I highly recommend using freshly grated parmesan cheese for the best texture. Pre-grated cheese can become gritty when melted.
- Fresh Parsley: for garnish!
How to make Creamy Cheese Tortellini
This cheese tortellini recipe is ready in a total of 15 minutes!
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, add the tortellini, and cook until al dente. Drain, but reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Make the sauce: To the same pan, add in the butter followed by the garlic and seasonings. Cook for 1 minute, then mix in heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Bring to a simmer and cook to thicken slightly.
- Combine and serve: Add the cooked tortellini to the sauce and add just enough of the reserved pasta water so that the sauce comes together. Sprinkle with parmesan and fresh parsley and serve.
Creamy Cheese Tortellini FAQs
Either! Since you’re cooking the tortellini separately from the sauce, you can start with fresh or frozen. Just cook it al dente according to package directions!
This creamy cheese tortellini is best right away, but leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen, then warm on the stove with a splash of cream.
Almost anything! Cheese tortellini is great on its own or with a side of Roasted Green Beans or an Easy Broccoli Salad. You can also cook some bacon in the oven and stir that in for extra flavor!
- Add veggies. If you want to add some color, you can cook a couple of veggies with the butter and spices. Try spinach, tomato, broccoli, mushrooms, kale, you name it.
- Add meat. Want to make this into a more complete meal? Try adding in cooked Italian sausage, shrimp, Shredded Chicken, chopped Air Fryer Bacon, or meatballs.
- Spice it up. The cracked pepper gives the pasta a bit of heat, but you can crank it up even more with some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
This Creamy Cheese Tortellini works great as a vegetarian entree next to steamed broccoli, roasted veggies, Honey Glazed Carrots and breadsticks or garlic bread.
It also makes the perfect side dish next to your favorite protein! Try Air Fryer Chicken Breast, Air Fryer Salmon, or Air Fryer Pork Chops.
More creamy pasta recipes
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Creamy Cheese Tortellini
- 2 cups cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cloves freshly minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley for serving if desired
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta water and drain the tortellini. Remove the tortellini from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the butter to the pan on medium heat. Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer. Cook 2-3 minutes to thicken slightly, then stir in tortellini.
- Add enough of the reserved pasta water so that the sauce comes together (just add a little at a time).
- Sprinkle with additional Parmesan and fresh parsley as desired for serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel
This is great! I always add a little extra garlic and chicken for more protein! Great recipe
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Nicole! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Bryan Eckhart says
I enjoyed this dinner I made for three, but it could use a little less salt. All in all it was very delicious.
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Bryan! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Chalece Neilsen says
We tried this recipe last night, and it was so delicious! It was also quick and easy to make. Everyone in my family loved it! I’m going to add it to our regular meal rotation 🙂
The Recipe Rebel says
Hi Chalece! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this review!
I don’t have any tortellini in the house, but I have gnocchi. How do you think it would work with a potato filled pasta instead of cheese filled?