Dense, chewy blondies loaded with pecans and topped with a brown sugar glaze and chopped pecans — the perfect holiday bar for Christmas or Thanksgiving!
So, when I was trying to narrow down my holiday baking recipe ideas that I was going to share with you this fall, I was thinking back to what I posted last year and what was popular.
These Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies were immediately popular, so I was trying to think of some variations I could do with this whole “brown sugar pecan” theme.
So, blondies. Obviously.
I am a big fan of the Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies, but I have to say…. I like these even more. Know why?
Because blondies are Christmas cookies for moms with 10 month old babes around their legs, wiping snot on their yoga pants.
But seriously. I love a good cookie (I love many, many cookies). But taking the time to roll cookies out and bake pan after pan? Not as awesome.
Bar cookies? That’s where it’s at.
I was always one of those people who refused to call a bar a cookie, but I’ve totally changed my tune this year. Bars are Busy Mom Cookies — spread it in a pan and bake! And so you might just see a few more “bar cookies” popping up over here during this holiday season (like these Cranberry Chocolate Chunk Blondies?)…. And I have to say, I don’t mind!
Do you? 😉
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin this recipe to your favorite board
Brown Sugar Pecan Blondies
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8″ pan with tin foil and spray with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter and brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Add egg and whisk until combined. Add vanilla, salt, and flours and stir just until combined.
- Stir in pecans and spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Set aside.
- Frosting: In a small pot, combine brown sugar and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, and boil for 3-4 minutes until it comes together (it will be smooth and look like caramel). Stir in butter and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread immediately over blondies. (If frosting firms up before you spread, you can always reheat it, or add a little more milk and try again). Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing. Store in air tight container for 3-4 days or freeze for 2-3 months.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @thereciperebel or hashtag #thereciperebel — I love to see what you’re making!Tag @thereciperebel