Oatmeal cookie base topped with sweet and tangy rhubarb and strawberries covered in more oatmeal cookie topping — your favourite summer dessert is now a portable treat or back to school snack!
I once asked this question over on my Facebook page: fruit crisp or fruit pie?
At first, I was a little alarmed at the amount of pie people popping up and taking over. But once I sent a shout out to all my crisp lovers they slowly came through for me.
I am a crisp lover. I am not reeeeally a pie lover, unless it’s filled with chocolate or peanut butter or it’s on an Oreo crust or it’s in ice cream form. Or unless it’s only dessert option, because when it comes to pie or no dessert you better believe I’m eating pie and loving it. As long as there’s ice cream.
So last summer, when Julianne from Beyond Frosting asked if I would bring something over to share, these bars were not even a thought. I’d hate to think about what might have happened if she’d never asked — you might not have been feasting your eyes upon them right now.
And that would be sad. Because they’re amazing.
I’ve since updated the post so that you can find the full recipe below, because Spring is short and you should be eating as much strawberry rhubarb as you can get your hands on.
When I came up with the idea for these bars, I was determined that there would only be one crumb mixture and that would serve as the cookie crust and the crumb topping. I am not into extra work.
Obviously I had to use the oatmeal cookie topping from this Berry Cherry Crisp (also amazing). I doubled it and it worked so well! The perfect sturdy base for the fruit and just enough left over to sprinkle over the top and let that gorgeous fruit shine through.
Are you guys rhubarb lovers?
I mean, you’re here, so….
But really — there are people out there who don’t like rhubarb. I used to be one of them. As a kid, anything even a little bit tart was not dessert. Lemon, lime, rhubarb — I detested them all. Slowly, though, I came around. And now? Total obsession.
Especially strawberry rhubarb. And with fresh summer strawberries? Perfection!
These are the perfect bar to take you from summer right into back to school — they are incredible cold, straight from the fridge, or warm them up and serve with some vanilla ice cream!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Bars
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups large oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or sub all-purpose)
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 4 cups fresh, diced strawberries
- 3 cups frozen, chopped rhubarb (or sub fresh – see recipe notes*)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x13” pan with tin foil, lightly greased. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, oats and flour until mixed. Add the butter and mix with an electric mixer, a pastry cutter or your hands until combined.
- Set aside 1 packed cup of the oatmeal cookie mixture. Press the rest into the bottom of the prepared pan, covering the bottom entirely. Bake bottom crust for 10-20 minutes until dry on top and lightly golden.
- In the same bowl you used to mix your oats, combine your strawberries, rhubarb, corn starch and sugar. Spread on top of crust and crumble the remaining oat mixture on top – it will not cover the top completely. Press down the oat mixture slightly.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until the filling is bubbly and thickened and the oats are light golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature. I highly recommend chilling before cutting – they will set completely and cut more cleanly. Store in the refrigerator