These Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins are the best — so moist but made healthier with whole wheat flour, yogurt and loaded with fresh strawberries!
This is weird, right?!
First of all, I don’t normally post on Tuesdays. Second, I actually just whipped up this recipe over the weekend. That’s right, just a few days ago.
If you don’t know by now, I am an obsessive planner and workaholic. Which means that I am normally making and photographing recipes for a few weeks (sometimes more than a few…) down the road. I am actually not a spontaneous person.
But I picked 4 gallons of fresh strawberries last week and it felt wrong to just not make anything with them. My kids — one and four — are always ravenous and muffins are one of their favorites! I thought it was time to add a strawberry twist to my favorite Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe.
I have been making these Double Chocolate Banana Bran Muffins on repeat for what seems like the last 6 months — they are super healthy but they taste so fudgy, and we all love them! But it was time for a little change.
The fresh strawberries in these muffin add such a great burst of flavor, and I am a BIG fan of fruit and chocolate (aren’t you??). The recipe makes a good number (I got 30), so that you can store some in the freezer for sometime down the road, and they make great snacks for packing on summer road trips.
The rest of my 4 gallons of strawberries? I’m not telling you how many I ate just straight out of the pail.
- The muffins usually come out pretty easily, but if you have problems with them sticking I have a bunch of these silicone muffin liners that I LOVE — nothing sticks to them and you can wash and reuse!
- Often when I’m baking for the kiddos I like to bake these in my mini muffin pan — it makes them the perfect snack size so that there’s no waste!
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup plain 1% yogurt (you could sub sour cream or applesauce)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with 24 paper liners. (You may end up needing a few extra)
- To a large bowl add bananas, sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Whisk until combined (I use the whisk to mash my bananas as I'm doing this).
- Using a whisk or spatula, gently stir in dry ingredients (flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg), ensuring even distribution without overmixing. Fold in chocolate chips and fresh strawberries.
- Fill liners with batter, about ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick comes out dry or with moist crumbs. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.