A SUPER simple, flavorful meal with just a few ingredients! These Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Sandwiches are perfect for summer picnics, busy weeknights, or serve the chicken and sauce over pasta for a hearty meal! Gluten free and paleo options.
There are so many things I love about today’s recipe.
- It’s made in the slow cooker
- It only uses a handful of simple ingredients
- It has easy gluten free and paleo options
- It’s perfect for everything from summer picnics to winter pastas to busy weeknights any time of the year. Put it in a wrap, sandwich, serve with roasted veggies, with salad, on salad, in a taco, with rice…. the options are endless!
In this recipe I used Muir Glen Organic Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (new to Canada!), chicken breasts, and a bit of pesto and salt to punch up the flavor — you really need nothing else! The flavor of these tomatoes is so intense and incredible. Muir Glen uses only the best, vine-ripened tomatoes and you can tell as soon as you crack the can. The smell is intoxicating!
I wanted to show them off in a recipe that didn’t require a lot of ingredients, so that the fire-roasted flavor wasn’t lost under a bunch of other things.
Also, with a toddler and a preschooler I just don’t have a lot of time or patience for recipes with 27 ingredients and 8 pots. Do you?
Now for the giveaway!
Since Muir Glen is new to Canada, they want to give all of my Canadian friends a chance to win an awesome prize pack including Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes, Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes, Plain Diced Tomatoes, and Crushed Tomatoes with Basil, PLUS a $50 PC Gift Card!
To enter the giveaway, leave me a comment below telling me your BEST summer entertaining tip!
How do you keep drinks cool? How do you keep ice cream from melting? Tips for feeding a crowd? Best easy entertaining recipe? I want to hear about it!
Rules and regulations: Giveaway is open to Canadian residents over the age of 18, excluding residents of Quebec. Giveaway is open from June 1, 2016 until June 8, 2016 at 11:59 pm CST. Winner will be selected at random and notified within 24 hours of the contest ending. Winner must correctly answer a skill testing question and respond within 48 hours of initial email or a new winner will be chosen. Winner must have a street address to receive prize.
*This post and giveaway is generously sponsored by Muir Glen. I’ve been compensated for my time in developing this recipe but all opinions are, as always, my own!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (28oz) can crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves and buns to serve as desired
- Place chicken breasts in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Add tomatoes, pesto and salt and stir until chicken is coated.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred chicken and serve on a bun with shredded cheese and fresh basil if desired.
- This chicken is also great in wraps, on salads, over pasta, rice or potatoes -- the options are endless!
*If you're looking for a longer cooking time (say you work away from home all day), use frozen chicken breasts and cook for 6-8 hours on low.
*This recipe is gluten free, but be sure that you use gluten free rolls or serve or rice or potatoes instead.
*If seeking a paleo option, omit the pesto and add fresh basil and/or oregano to taste at the end of the cooking time. Leave off the shredded cheese and serve with roasted vegetables.
*Nutrition information is estimated and will vary depending on exact serving size, types and brands of products used.
More Slow Cooker Recipes you’ll love!
Baked Hawaiian Chicken Tacos (start in the slow cooker!)