This Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken is SO easy and flavorful, you wouldn’t believe it only has 5 ingredients! The perfect easy dinner recipe for busy weeknights!
Friends, I feel like I’ve been getting too lucky lately.
A few times this month, I’ve simple thrown a few ingredients together in a pot and BOOM: perfection. It seems too easy, and — I’ll be honest — I’m doomed for some big fails sometime soon.
For now though, I’m just going to keep rolling out the easy dinner recipes!
Seriously though, 5 ingredients is about all I can handle these days. I feel like my summer actually ended mid-July, and since then the husband and I both have been working like crazy and I’m just thankful my 4 year old can reach the snack cupboard, you know?
“Grab a box of crackers, sweetie — Mom will be done SOON.” 20 minutes later and we’re lucky if we’re reheating the dinner I made to photograph.
So this chicken.
My goal this fall (really, every fall) is to bring you more recipes for Real Life. Because summer is over and life goes back to Crazy, dinner time is rushed and spending hours in the kitchen is often the last thing on our minds.
The other reason, obviously, is that I need easy recipes like this too!
With a lot of slow cooker recipes, I find you sacrifice either flavor or texture or both. Browning meat beforehand can really help with that, but often even after that the juices need to be spiced up because after cooking for so long, the flavors just become muted.
With this chicken, though, there are no issues like that! You dump and go, and the sauce is the perfect consistency when it’s done and the flavor is awesome! So creamy and comforting, and yet only a tiny little bit of cream or evaporated milk.
- I made this recipe in a 4 quart slow cooker — if you want to double it, I suggest a 6 quart slow cooker (I have both, and use them for different things!).
- I really, really, REALLY recommend using slow cooker liners. I will gladly pay the 50 cents or whatever they cost to not have to wash that beast!
- Please always, always check the temperature of your chicken with a meat thermometer before serving just to be safe! All slow cookers cook differently.
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
This Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken is SO easy and flavorful, you wouldn't believe it only has 5 ingredients! The perfect easy dinner recipe!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup tomato or pasta sauce
- Place chicken in slow cooker and season with salt. Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Serve or pasta, rice, or with a salad and veggies!