These Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs with Apples are the perfect mix of sweet and savory — an easy but elegant dinner recipe for Sunday dinner or a busy weeknight!
By now you’ve heard me jumping for joy about Apple Month — a time where we can celebrate munching on fresh, nutritious Canadian apples while we’re buried under a blanket of snow — all over this blog and social media (and if you missed my Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pudding Cake, well — you don’t want to!), and I’m here with an easy, slow cooker dinner recipe featuring the star of the show.
I know you know that I am a big believer in mixing sweet with my savory (these Pineapple Glazed Carrots are one of my recent favourites!), and I think fruit is the best way to jazz up your dinner table.
It can add such an unexpected burst of flavour and really make a dish extra special. These chicken thighs are elegant enough for an easy Sunday dinner but simple enough for a crazy weeknight — pair them with potatoes, rice or a salad for a hearty, healthy meal! We love the sauce drizzled over mashed potatoes — it’s like chicken gravy with a subtle sweetness!
*This post is sponsored by BC Tree Fruits and I was compensated for my time in creating the recipe — all opinions are, as always, my own.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- ½ medium onion, chopped fine
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup pure unsweetened apple juice
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 springs fresh thyme (or add ½ teaspoon dried to the liquid)
- 2 Gala apples, peeled and sliced thick
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook 1-2 minutes just until browned (*this step is completely optional -- you can just add to the slow cooker if you desire)
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a 2.5-4 quart slow cooker and add onion to the bottom. Place browned chicken thighs on top of onion.
- In a medium bowl, combine broth, juice, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard, and corn starch until smooth. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Top with sliced apples and thyme sprigs, cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-5 hours, until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or egg noodles if desired.
$500 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway!