This creamy Pineapple Lemonade fruit dip is made with a homemade pineapple lemon curd and whipped cream! Change up the fruit juice flavors to make any kind!
*Photos updated March 16, 2016
True story: I had decided I was going to make this incredibly naughty, over-the-top chocolate dessert for you guys, and when I went to my fridge for the butter, I only had two sticks. I needed at least twice that much.
So I settled for a fruit dip like a somewhat responsible adult.
I’m not trying to get you all bummed, thinking about what could have been — I promise that recipe will be coming up shortly. For now, though, this fruit dip is a pretty good substitute.
I had been thinking lately how I should really be snacking on more fruit, and healthy things, instead of chips and ice cream every evening. I haven’t really cared as much as I should about eating healthy, but when I’m pregnant my body clings to every calorie that goes in.
Which would probably be fine, if those calories were made up of vegetables and protein and food that actually had nutritional value, instead of, like I said, chips and ice cream.
However, my motto is “everything in moderation”, so I promise you there will be a little naughty mixed in with the nice. Plus, I’m married to a guy that doesn’t feel like inhaling a jar of pickles every evening.
And just FYI, I like pickles just as much when I’m not pregnant. It’s just that now, I like other things less.
This fruit dip starts with a cooked pineapple lemon curd, which is cooled and combined with some whipped topping. You can go all out and whip some real cream, but I didn’t have any on hand, and I wanted to keep this a little on the lighter side to make up for what’s to come.
I love this recipe because you can use whatever flavour of fruit juice you want, and can mix and match to customize it completely. It is such a flexible recipe and can work with any fruit that’s in season!
This dip would also be amazing as a mousse or filling for a cake, as it’s light and fluffy but, thanks to the flour and egg, it’s not runny and holds up well.
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 200ml box of unsweetened pineapple juice (a regular juice box)
- ¼ cup (about 50ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whipped topping (or real whipped cream)
- In a small pot, combine the sugar and flour with a whisk. Whisk in juices. Add the butter.
- Over medium or medium-high heat, cook and stir until butter is melted and mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot liquid into the egg (stirring constantly). Pour egg mixture into the pot with the rest.
- Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Adapted from Taste of Home’s Holidays Cookbook.
You might also like this Glazed Lemon Monkey Bread!
Or these Lemon Berry Cheesecake Trifles!
More fruit dip recipes!
5-Minute Peanut Butter Cheesecake Dip from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Creamy Nutella Dip from Pumpkin ‘n’ Spice
Brownie Batter Fruit Dip from Chelsea’s Messy Apron