This Lemon Berry Trifle is made up of a homemade Greek Yogurt Lemon Cake, vanilla pudding, whipped cream and piles of fresh berries! It is the perfect summer dessert! Includes step by step recipe video
I know, I know — lemon and berries?!? No surprise here!
Lemon with fresh summer berries is one of my all time favorite combinations, I just can’t decide if I want to start with this Overnight Lemon French Toast, this No Bake Lemon Cheesecake, or these Baked Lemon Blueberry Doughnuts. And while we’re at it, let’s make sure this Lemon Raspberry Icebox Cake hits the table as well.
What I love about trifles (though I guess you’d never know because this is the very first ever trifle recipe here on The Recipe Rebel!), is that they’re so easy and yet so impressive.
You can use a cake mix, boxed pudding and Cool Whip if you want. Or you can go all out, make the cake, and pudding and whipped cream from scratch. Have a dry cake sitting around that isn’t all that great on its own? Smother it in some pudding, whipped cream and fresh fruit to rejuvenate it and no one will ever know (I promise).
For this Lemon Berry Trifle recipe I used my favorite Lemon Bundt Cake recipe. It is perfect and so moist — I fed it to my family and they inhaled it willingly without any toppings!
The recipe makes a pretty large cake, so if you only want a small trifle, feel free to stick half of the cake in the freezer for another use (as a whole or cubed for another trifle). You will feel like a rockstar the next time you need to bring a dessert somewhere but don’t have hours to spend making something! I swear the freezer is my best friend most days. I fill that baby up with all kinds of goodies!
Watch the recipe video:
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar (250g)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour (188g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 (4 serving size) package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups fresh berries
- 1½ cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8x8" or 9x9" pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add eggs, vanilla, applesauce, yogurt and lemon juice and whisk until smooth. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and zest and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Check cake at 25-30 minutes, and if browning too quickly cover loosely with a piece of foil for the remainder of the baking time. Let cake cool completely.
- To make the trifle: Cut the cake into cubes. Place half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a trifle dish or glass bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vanilla pudding mix and milk until smooth. Pour half over the cake in the dish. Top with half of the berries.
- Repeat layers one more time, using remaining cake, pudding and berries. Top with whipped cream. Refrigerate until chilled and set, about 1-2 hours and serve.