This One Pot Spaghetti and Meat Sauce is a healthy, easy and delicious meal for any night of the week! Made healthier with hidden veggies and one other secret ingredient I bet you’ll never guess!
So I lied. I have one more one pot pasta recipe for you today, and it’s a gooder!
Lately when I’m trying to come up with new recipes for the blog I’ve been torn between creating totally decadent desserts and at least somewhat healthy meals that you might actually make and eat. This is one of the latter (I hope!).
One of the things I love about having this here blog is having an excuse to make some of the things that I might not normally have an excuse to make. I think to myself, “Ooooo, that would be so blogworthy!” Because floating around my head most of the day are visions of chocolate and caramel and extra tall cakes and peanut butter/Oreo/Nutella (but really, there should be a Nutella Oreo, am I right?!).
And so some days 5:00 hits and I stand in my kitchen, casually looking around for dinner to jump out and make itself.
And then nothing happens.
Sometimes I even — gasp — go to the emergency boxes of mac & cheese.
I have a major sweet tooth. And I try to tone down my treats to make them a little healthier, or I share (read: push the thing out the door and into someone else’s arms and mouth). But every once in a while, I get just as excited about an easy, healthy dinner.
I dream of concocting all kinds of super difficult, 18 step, 25 ingredient, made from scratch, fancy pants meals for you but those days are about 20 years in my future. And besides, who needs ’em?
I’ve been dreaming about making this spaghetti since, well, since the last 4 one pot pastas I made for you using my Ultimate Mix and Match One Pot Pasta Guide. Obviously.
And I know you’re probably sick of one pot pastas, but I can’t stop. I mean, I’m going to stop. Just after this one, because this one is super exciting for me.
Do you guys ever use vegetable juice when you’re cooking? It’s one of my favorite secret healthy ingredients. I love the extra servings I’m getting without realizing it! Because veggies and I… we’re not best friends, which is why I snuck in some extra and cooked them up with the meat so you can’t even tell! See, I know I need to eat my vegetables, I just get them in more creative ways.
This is the perfect recipe for Spaghetti and Meat Sauce lovers, and it comes together completely in one pot — I pretty much refuse to cook pasta any other way now!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or use turkey or pork if you want)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- ⅓ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed (or 1-2 handfuls fresh)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 375g box of whole grain spaghetti (about 12 oz), broken in half
- 1 28ox can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 4 cups reduced sodium tomato vegetable cocktail
- In a large pot, add ground beef, onion, pepper flakes, oregano and salt and cook over medium-high until meat is browned. Add carrot, spinach and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add spaghetti (I like to break it in half because it makes it easier to stir!), diced tomatoes and tomato vegetable cocktail. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and reduce to medium heat, stirring often to keep pasta from sticking together. Simmer over medium heat, stirring often, for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- If all liquid is absorbed before pasta is cooked, slowly add ½-1 cup of liquid and keep cooking and stirring until pasta is cooked.