This Skillet Chicken Parmesan is made healthier with a homemade tomato sauce, skinless chicken breasts and no breading or frying (which means it’s also gluten free)! It’s a 30 minute meal that everyone will love!
Now, I will admit that my brain is about 99.9% stuck on fall baking these days. I actually almost forgot about 30 Minute Thursday this month (the first Thursday of every month where friends and I share 30 minute meals!).
But I figured that if it’s quick, easy recipes we’re supposed to be sharing, that I could probably handle it.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about remaking my favorite comfort foods in a healthier way, with fewer processed foods and more whole ingredients. It’s really something that I’ve become passionate about, so you might just be seeing more of that around here!
Based on the popularity of this Healthier Skillet Lasagna, my Oven Fried Chicken, and this Healthier Hamburger Helper, I just have a feeling you won’t mind. I really want you to have a good selection of easy, healthy, family-friendly dinner recipes here to choose from, so I didn’t want to skip this opportunity to share another (even if I’m eating apple cake behind the scenes)!
I would love to hear what your favorite classic comfort foods are, so that I can remake them into healthier versions! Let me know below 🙂
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1//2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat in canola oil for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Set aside on a plate and cover with tin foil.
- To the skillet add the onion. Cook until softened and add the garlic, basil, parsley, and oregano and cook 1 minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, salt, and sugar if desired (sometimes canned tomatoes can have a bit of bitterness). Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Return chicken breasts to pan and simmer for 2 minutes until heated through. Top with cheese, and cover pan. Let sit for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
And since it’s 30 Minute Thursday, here are more 30 minute meals from friends!
Garlic Parmesan Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Creamy Avocado Vegetable Burritos from Kristine’s Kitchen
Creamy White Bean Pasta with Sweet Potato & Kale from She Likes Food
30 Minute Chicken Noodle Soup from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
30 Minute Tuscan Chicken Skillet from Sweet Peas & Saffron
Chestnut, Mushroom and Butternut Squash Baked Risotto from Floating Kitchen
Maple Apple Pork Chops Skillet from Savory Nothings
Healthier Skillet Chicken Parmesan from The Recipe Rebel