These Cinnamon Roll Bites are the easiest way to cinnamon roll flavor! Uses homemade or store bought biscuit dough, a great make ahead breakfast or dessert!
Cinnamon, sugar and butter just make everything better, am I right?
I love these little bites, especially as the days get cooler and all you want is some fresh, hot, sugary bread straight from the oven. I also love that they’re so easy, you can make them ahead and quickly finish up and bake them in the morning. That way, you can even bring them still warm and gooey to your colleagues at work.
If you’re willing to share, that is.
I love a good monkey bread made with yeast dough — who doesn’t? But there are days (okay, most of them) that yeast dough can take a little too much time and effort.
This biscuit dough comes together in 5-10 minutes max, and you can easily make the dough ahead, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the next morning or whenever you want to bake these bites.
You can also make the dough, prepare your pan, coat your dough balls in the cinnamon sugar, place in the pan and cover with plastic wrap or tin foil and refrigerate until ready to use. Then all you have to do before baking is drizzle with the melted butter and preheat the oven.
They really are so simple that you have no excuse to make them! No excuse not to have warm, sugary, buttery bites of fresh bread coming out of your oven in about 35 minutes. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
*Feel free to substitute bought biscuit dough for the homemade stuff — it will make things even easier and you shouldn’t need to make any changes to the recicpe!*
*Freezer directions: you can roll your biscuit balls, coat in sugar and place in the pan and then cover and freeze completely. Keep frozen for up to 1 month, then let thaw on the counter at least 30 minutes-1 hour before baking as directed. You may need to increase baking time up to 5 minutes.
You might also like this Glazed Lemon Monkey Bread!
See how easy they are to make and subscribe on YouTube!
*Post and photos updated from September 17, 2014
Cinnamon Roll Bites
Treat yourself to these buttery, cinnamon and brown sugar coated bites right out of the oven -- they come together in no time!
- 2 cups flour (whole wheat, all purpose, or a mix(
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3/4-1 cup cold milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk (just enough to bring the glaze together)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt (I mix with my pastry cutter).
- Cut the butter into cubes and add to the bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Stir in milk gradually, adding just enough so that the dough comes together. Bring together in a ball with your hands (if you accidentally add too much milk and it becomes sticky, just add a little more flour).
- *See post above for make ahead directions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the sides of a 9-10" pie plate. Place 3-4 tbsp melted butter in the bottom of the pie plate and swirl to coat the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough into 1" balls and dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place in the pie plate.
- Drizzle melted butter over the dough balls in the pan. Bake for 23-26 minutes until biscuits are cooked and butter/sugar mixture is bubbling in the bottom of the pan.
- *If you're using a pie plate smaller than 10", it's a good idea to place a piece of tin foil in the oven under the plate to catch any possible drips.
*This post contains affiliate links