These Chewy Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are chewy, chocolatey perfection! They are quick and easy to make and loaded with oats and white chocolate chips.
Recipe first posted on RecipeGirl.
So I was thinking I was testing these: there are a lot of oatmeal cookie recipes out there. And a lot of chocolate no bake oatmeal cookies out there. But there aren’t very many double chocolate oatmeal cookie recipes out there.
It seems wrong.
I love oatmeal cookies.
The chewy, homemade oatmeal cookies and not those gross, hard and crumbly store bought oatmeal cookies. I love them with raisins and without. With chocolate chips and without. They are just so perfectly chewy and have the best texture!
I came across this recipe (well, where this recipe started) in the cookbook my Grandma made for me (just like this Hot Fudge Sundae Cake that you all already love), but I’d never made it before.
I decided to give it a go, as written, even though I thought it was a little crazy. Milk? In cookie dough? Surely not.
And I’ll be the first to admit that it didn’t work as written. Grandmas have a way of writing recipes that make no sense at all, right? I mean, I’m sure it makes sense to them and works out perfectly, but for anyone else to make it work you have to try to decode them first.
The method for literally almost every recipe in the book is: “Mix. Bake until _____ (just set, golden brown, etc.). No temperature. No mixing instructions. Nothing.
But I kind of love the adventure of trying them out and making them work for me. And in the end? I get something pretty close to what I’m sure would be coming out of my Grandma’s/Aunt’s/Mom’s kitchen and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
I hope you don’t mind if I get you a full set of ingredients and instructions though 😉
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour (or use all purpose)
- 2½ cups large flake oats
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add egg, vanilla and milk and beat until combined.
- Add cocoa, flour and oats and beat until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips. Dough will be slightly sticky still.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets and press down slightly (they will bake fine if you don't press down, they will just be a little higher). Bake for 10-11 minutes, until just slightly glossy in the center (a tiny bit!) but mostly set. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.