I’m all about combining favourites.
I mean, adding two already delicious things together can only make it better, right?
Obviously, there are exceptions. Only about a million of them.
But if you could peek inside my mind throughout the day you’d see, “pizza… what can I put on pizza that I never have before? What can I combine and put together on pizza that I’ve never seen before?” And then an hour later, “Mac and cheese…. there are already so many awesome variations of mac and cheese…. what can I put on mac and cheese.”
I feel like it’s kind of my thing.
And the cool part is, I didn’t know it was my thing until I started blogging and was trying to come up with new recipes.
I love coming up with different (in a good way) combinations that I’ve never seen before.
Like this BBQ Chili Shepherd’s Pie.
And this Pepperoni Florentine Pizza.
When I was thinking about starting a food blog, I thought to myself, “but who is really going to look at it? There are so many food blogs already out there, how can I be any different from any of them?”
But that’s the great thing about food. There are positively endless combinations and ways to reinvent recipes.
So what do you add to your mac and cheese?
I love the combination of velvety, creamy cheese sauce and smoky, sweet barbecue sauce in this mac and cheese. They’re such different flavour profiles but they complement each other so nicely. After all, who doesn’t love cheese and barbecue?
Creamy, cheesy pasta topped with slow-cooked chicken and barbecue sauce -- two of our favourites in one dish!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 & 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 cups macaroni
- 5 cups milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Combine seasoning salt, water and 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.*
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Stir in the remaining 3/4 cup barbecue sauce. Keep warm in slow cooker while you make the macaroni.
- In a large pot, combine macaroni, milk and salt. Over medium-high heat (you don't want it too high, because milk will scald and leave a bitter flavour), bring the milk to a simmer, stirring frequently. Reduce to medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes until noodles are cooked and milk is thickened. Stir in cheese.**
- Spread macaroni and cheese into serving dish and top with BBQ chicken. Garnish with extra cheese and green onions if desired.
*You could also cook the chicken in the oven, in a frying pan, or on the grill. For me, I wanted easy and moist, so I went the slow cooker route. **You want to stir frequently and watch closely, because there isn't extra moisture in the pot and you don't want the noodles stuck to the bottom. You also don't want your milk to scald on the bottom of the pot.
Mac and Cheese recipe adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake.