A moist spice cake made healthier with applesauce, whole wheat flour and reduced sugar, topped with whipped cream and caramelized apples — the perfect holiday treat!
I know pumpkin is The Thing this time of year, but I’m all about the apple. I love an apple dessert loaded with spices! (Baked Apple Crisp Doughnuts maybe?)
Since I’ve been making my fair share of pumpkin treats for the hubs, I figured it was time I make something for me. This Apple Spice Cake has just the right amount of spice and sweetness, and is topped with SPLENDA® sweetened whipped cream (that’s right, the real deal! Don’t worry — you’re only going to be using 1/2 cup of cream for the whole recipe), and simple caramelized apples.
This is such a great dessert to bring along to a holiday dinner! It’s not too heavy or sweet and is the perfect compliment to that big old bird and mashed potatoes.
For most of our holiday gatherings, pie is the dessert of choice. But since I’m a cake girl and not a pie girl, this is my idea of the perfect ending! I’m pretty sure I can convert some of the pie lovers with those caramelized apples — that’s the best part of an apple pie anyway, right?
You can find more great recipes and ways to reduce sugar on the Sweet Swaps site. Just like in this cake, SPLENDA® sugar blends are a great way to lighten up those holiday desserts we all want to indulge in!
Apple Spice Cake (Reduced Sugar)
A moist spice cake made better for you with applesauce, whole wheat flour and reduced sugar, topped with whipped cream and caramelized apples -- the perfect holiday treat!
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced (I like a firm apple like Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together canola oil, egg, applesauce, vanilla and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend until combined. Add flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and whisk until just combined.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cinnamon and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend until combined. Add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but not mushy (cook to your desired texture). Set aside to cool to room temperature.
Whipped Cream and Assembly
- When cake and apples are cooled to room temperature, make the whipped cream and assemble the cake.
- To make whipped cream, beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and vanilla, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place cake on serving plate, top with whipped cream and caramelized apples.
Regular sugar can be substituted for SPLENDA® if needed — see more information on baking substitutions here.